Lake Tabeo, Kabayan, Benguet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Tabeo, Kabayan, Benguet

Lake Tabeo (or Tabio) is situated 2,284 meters above sea level in Kabayan, Benguet. The place is so cold (0 deg C in Feb-Mar) that the locals can only plant potatoes and carrots. Leafy vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, etc. gets frosted at times and are spoiled easily.

I drove up Baguio City via Marcos Highway, proceeded to Ambuklao via the Aritao-Benguet Road and took a left at the Gurel-Kabayan-Buguias-Abatan Road. I have taken this road many times and have traversed it on bikes when it was all dirt/mud all the way. It is now paved up to the ascent to the Mt. Pulag Ranger's Station. Landslides still occur, however DPWH heavy equipment and personnel are always on the standby. Locals tell me that they expect the whole route to be cemented by next year, thanks to the efforts of their Congressman.

995920_10201628476778662_1275046499_n.jpg

The ascent to Lake Tabeo has paved sections but still mostly rough and dirt roads. It is single lane all the way, with a few shoulders where vehicles can move to to let others (going up) pass. An unspoken custom in the Cordilleras is to beep your horn after passing to say thank you, where "welcome" is also a short beep.

1044789_10201628477218673_506792210_n.jpg

941451_10201628481858789_1931280799_n.jpg

1013897_10201628477898690_2061463033_n.jpg

I was awed with the Lake, although very small, it had the ambiance of nothing else I have felt anywhere in the country. The locals were very friendly, and conversed with me while I put up camp.

1044544_10201628479818738_1235145574_n.jpg

Shortly before night fall, clouds descended and the winds started to blow wildly in all directions. I had to put down the canvass and decided to sleep inside the truck. The stormed stayed until the morning, beating down on all sides of my truck, one of the scariest (but fun) experiences in my life. The next morning I headed down, finding the trail to be slippery, with fog adding to the fun. There were ridges where I had to pass, wide enough to fit one vehicle, with winds blowing and trying to push the truck sideways. Fun!

ANg Ganda ng Pilipinas, Go Out and Explore!
    1005922_10201628482938816_1901466248_n.jpg

kuya beerboy, your travels and adventures never cease to amaze us! as always, thanks for sharing...

Comment

Camping at such a places and specially lakes give you moments which have no alternative in fun and recreation and obviously give us a permanent and unforgettable moments...I am sure that you guys has a good time there..Your pics give us a glimpse that you were doing a film shooting project there

Byron Quarter Holiday Apartments
      8 Byron Street Byron Bay NSW 2481 Australia‎
      Phone No : +61 2 6680 9900
      URL : http://byronquarter.com.au/
      Last edited by j.gsx; 10-21-2013, 14:23.

Comment

Love your truck man.
        ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

You have coordinates of the place beerboy or is the place already in our map? Mamaya ko pa macheck sa gps ko eh hehe

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not sure if you're still here @beerboy but the first time I saw your post, I told myself I need to visit this place also.

After four years, I was finally able to go to this place. Albeit during monsoon so I wasn't able to camp by the lake and opted to stay inside the farm houses of locals.

Just FYI. Maybe I need to go back on summer next year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rem View Post
              I'm not sure if you're still here @beerboy but the first time I saw your post, I told myself I need to visit this place also.

After four years, I was finally able to go to this place. Albeit during monsoon so I wasn't able to camp by the lake and opted to stay inside the farm houses of locals.

Just FYI. Maybe I need to go back on summer next year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
              Nice trip and nice rig...

Comment

Working...
              X