How to use basecamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use basecamp?

whatever you do, do not google "how to use basecamp" as i did because that might confuse you even further

so as strongly implied (if not straight out said so a few times already.), finally we will start with a how to concerning basecamp. and surprisingly before it's too late!

here goes:

so i installed it, and it asked me if it could open.

after installing it, i clicked "no" when it asked me if it could get data of my usage of it. but you do what you want here of course....

ok here goes, as i'm playing with it, i will type at the same time, so this will most likely be incoherent ramblings. but dont worry, one day someone will redo it with screenshots and the like and it will be clear. i hope.

first off. ctrl - doesnt zoom to extents anymore, now probably zooms to the worlds extents. suckola.

changing maps is still pretty straightforward through the drop down box.

ah. where's the "more detail" setting?
    aha found it . utilities / options /display.
    ah nice! here's one all of you slow drivers might appreciate (dunno if it works of course: utilities / options / routing /speed adjust your average speeds. so you can't complain anymore about the nuvi ETA's being off by so much . btw i have the same problem on the zumo. i always arrive before the ETA... (in da probins, not in manila, there i barely make it)

nicer pa! a motorcycle profile! will have to play with that later on to see what that does but i kinda doubt if our maps are compatible with it... never know i guess

some other stuff in options as well / auto update / units and the like. the normal boring stuff you never find when you need it....

ok. let's start playing. let's try n upload from the trusty old 276. the fekkin zumo broke down (buttons fell off ) and is on its way to taiwan after which customs will undoubtedly rip me off. again.

cool the small gps with arrow up is still there so lets click that thing then
    oh wtf. this is uncool. suckola to the max. waypoints and trax together. mmm continue
    suckola squared. where did the track edit tools go to?
    aha toolbar "detail level"
    ah. track edit stuff is now in toolbar "drawing tools" makes sense i suppose.
    cool. so track edits should be possible.
    waypoint stuff as well apparently. wow. way more options in the waypoint stuff. lets check that completely filled out in mapedit : no good, mapedit doesn't take the phone number or address items with it. mmm. special request maybe to mapedit?

so how do we send a map to the device with this thing?
    devices / right click on your device's "internal memory / "install maps on whatver the name of your device is" mapinstall will start.

ow cool. leftclick or swiping over all maps select all maps. rightclick on selected map deselects it. easy enuf. send to device.
    ok pop in sd card in the laptoip and see if we can still write to that.
    easy lng. right click sd card "send maps to" ....

what else needed in how to?
    ah unlocking maps. looks like mapsource.... maps / manage map products / unlock regions/ add

kindly improve on and add to this thread.
    so you old dinosaurs (yes unkul you) who want to stay with mapsource are welcome to do so, but this looks very easy to adapt to.

apologies for the missing caps, punctuations and other clerical errors. feel free to edit!
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    wow. way more options in the waypoint stuff. lets check that completely filled out in mapedit : no good, mapedit doesn't take the phone number or address items with it. mmm. special request maybe to mapedit?
    looking forward to that kuya.

Comment

Kuya, Si Unkul uses Basecamp, I'm the one who is still stuck with Mapsource coz it's just too darn familiar!

Would be nice if we can have some screenshots! To show where each of the familiar stuff on Mapsource are.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        whatever you do, do not google "how to use basecamp" as i did because that might confuse you even further

so as strongly implied (if not straight out said so a few times already.), finally we will start with a how to concerning basecamp. and surprisingly before it's too late!

here goes:

so i installed it, and it asked me if it could open.

after installing it, i clicked "no" when it asked me if it could get data of my usage of it. but you do what you want here of course....

ok here goes, as i'm playing with it, i will type at the same time, so this will most likely be incoherent ramblings. but dont worry, one day someone will redo it with screenshots and the like and it will be clear. i hope.

first off. ctrl - doesnt zoom to extents anymore, now probably zooms to the worlds extents. suckola.

changing maps is still pretty straightforward through the drop down box.

ah. where's the "more detail" setting?
        aha found it . utilities / options /display.
        ah nice! here's one all of you slow drivers might appreciate (dunno if it works of course: utilities / options / routing /speed adjust your average speeds. so you can't complain anymore about the nuvi ETA's being off by so much . btw i have the same problem on the zumo. i always arrive before the ETA... (in da probins, not in manila, there i barely make it)

nicer pa! a motorcycle profile! will have to play with that later on to see what that does but i kinda doubt if our maps are compatible with it... never know i guess

some other stuff in options as well / auto update / units and the like. the normal boring stuff you never find when you need it....

ok. let's start playing. let's try n upload from the trusty old 276. the fekkin zumo broke down (buttons fell off ) and is on its way to taiwan after which customs will undoubtedly rip me off. again.

cool the small gps with arrow up is still there so lets click that thing then
        oh wtf. this is uncool. suckola to the max. waypoints and trax together. mmm continue
        suckola squared. where did the track edit tools go to?
        aha toolbar "detail level"
        ah. track edit stuff is now in toolbar "drawing tools" makes sense i suppose.
        cool. so track edits should be possible.
        waypoint stuff as well apparently. wow. way more options in the waypoint stuff. lets check that completely filled out in mapedit : no good, mapedit doesn't take the phone number or address items with it. mmm. special request maybe to mapedit?

so how do we send a map to the device with this thing?
        devices / right click on your device's "internal memory / "install maps on whatver the name of your device is" mapinstall will start.

ow cool. leftclick or swiping over all maps select all maps. rightclick on selected map deselects it. easy enuf. send to device.
        ok pop in sd card in the laptoip and see if we can still write to that.
        easy lng. right click sd card "send maps to" ....

what else needed in how to?
        ah unlocking maps. looks like mapsource.... maps / manage map products / unlock regions/ add

kindly improve on and add to this thread.
        so you old dinosaurs (yes unkul you) who want to stay with mapsource are welcome to do so, but this looks very easy to adapt to.

apologies for the missing caps, punctuations and other clerical errors. feel free to edit!
        wow....word of the day

SUCKOLA

who will post screenshot hmmmmm....... zzzzzzz

and also I notice you're in a good mood....

somebody gave you love :sly:

@arvin- who is unkul?

hehehe
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
          Kuya, Si Unkul uses Basecamp, I'm the one who is still stuck with Mapsource coz it's just too darn familiar!

Would be nice if we can have some screenshots! To show where each of the familiar stuff on Mapsource are.

TTFN
          Arvin
          stuck in mapsource and drives slower than ate liv...suckola!!!

Comment

Hehehe good one
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
              drives slower than ate liv...

Don't we all do that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

At least you guys are moving on to Basecamp, so I'm the guilty one! Suckolat to be me

You guys want an excuse about my driving? Coz I'm always on the lookout for new contributions, thus my slow speed

Unkul = Unkel

Back to Basecamp:
                Screenshots please

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

Who is unkul/unkel? Hehehe
                  - Bruce Lee

Comment

I'm stuck with mapsource too... a tutorial with screenshots will do

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
                    - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
                      stuck in mapsource and drives slower than ate liv...suckola!!!
                      drive slower... its called hypermiling
                      Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
                      - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

I tried to upload the Philippine Road map to my Nuvi 3490 using Mapsource but could not because my Nuvi could not be detected. I was advised to shift to Basecamp. After downloading the program (Basecamp Version 4.2.1), I could see that my Nuvi was detected. However, I could not select the Philippine map and put it under "My Collection" for uploading to my Nuvi. In Mapsource, I could use the Map tool to select the region to upload, and the selected files would be automatically placed under "Maps". I may have to use "Install Maps" first in Basecamp, but this menu option under "Maps" is grey-colored and cannot be selected. Do I need to download another version of the Philippine map? Or is there a way to convert the map to a Basecamp-readable version?

Comment

Originally posted by freefarm View Post
                          I tried to upload the Philippine Road map to my Nuvi 3490 using Mapsource but could not because my Nuvi could not be detected. I was advised to shift to Basecamp. After downloading the program (Basecamp Version 4.2.1), I could see that my Nuvi was detected. However, I could not select the Philippine map and put it under "My Collection" for uploading to my Nuvi. In Mapsource, I could use the Map tool to select the region to upload, and the selected files would be automatically placed under "Maps". I may have to use "Install Maps" first in Basecamp, but this menu option under "Maps" is grey-colored and cannot be selected. Do I need to download another version of the Philippine map? Or is there a way to convert the map to a Basecamp-readable version?
                          on the left portion of basecamp, there is this folder directory of your nuvi (including the gmapprom file). right-click on the folder and from thereon you should be able to select and install the map (mapinstall will do the rest).

the map that was visible in mapsource should also be visible in basecamp. look at the drop-down at the top part to check. no need to install the map again.

Comment

uploading to Nuvi from Basecamp

Many thanks for your advise. I tinkered a little bit more and finally found the right way to upload using Basecamp. Let me outline the steps I took:

1) Connect the Garmin unit to the computer using the standard USB cable. I noticed that sometimes, there is an error installing the device. In this case, detach the Garmin, reboot it, then connect again until there is no error message. The Garmin icon should appear in the "My Computer" window".
                            2) Open Basecamp. Under the "Maps" menu, select RoadGuide.ph free map v2.
                            3) Under "Devices" on the left side of the window, the Garmin unit name should appear. Under it, right-click "Internal Storage" then select "install maps on ...".
                            4) The program will then try to detect your device. Once this is detected, select continue.
                            5) On the next window, select the Philippine Road map (check it), then click Continue. The program will proceed to upload the map to your Garmin unit. No need to go through the "Send to Device" routine.

I hope this helps other who encounter the same problem. Many thanks for the quick and useful support.

Comment

Basecamp guide

Ok, I will have a go at producing a guide to basecamp, I have been using it a while now, and know some of its intricacies and quirks.
                              I was thinking of initially creating a PPS file with the illustrations and notes. This will make it easier for others to understand, especially us unkuls
                              And then we can discuss the best way on presentation, either as a download as pps, or a series of messages.
                              I will start and see how I get on, while waiting for my lessons on mapedit which is driving me crazy and frustration.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X