OsmAnd worked great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OsmAnd worked great!

Hi. I'm new here. I stumbled into this forum when I searched for a good navigation software. I read about OsmAnd and was able to download it into my humble Samsung Galaxy Pocket, just in time for my family's trip to Cebu. Man, it really worked great!
    I had borrowed my brother's Garmin, which had maps that were more than two years old, but I wanted insurance, so I downloaded OsmAnd, just in case the Garmin failed us. Good thing I did, because Garmin led us on a circuitous route which cost us more than an hour of our precious time! I finally tried OsmAnd, and it saved us from further wasting our time.
    I'd recommend OsmAnd to android tablets and phone users.

" because Garmin led us on a circuitous route"

Navigating is not just finger pointing a destination..If a proper use is observe it will surely bring you shortcut in your destination..
    When you select a destination, "go" should not immediately press specially if you are new to navigation..study first the route pattern by goin to view map first in 2D mode(double tap in garmin). In this you could see if you are in the shortest distance to your destination or not.If not press detour so that you could see an alternative route until you are in the shortest distance setting. Also checking setting i,e faster time,shorter time,avoidances will help. Its not the the map that matters but how the user take advantage the features of the gadgets benificial to him..Wether its osmAnd osm rg navitel etc , its basically would bring you to your destination and if its shortcut or not, the user skills will be the key..

Comment

"because Garmin led us on a circuitous route"

Hi, can you indicate what Garmin map you are using? Is it the Free RoadGuide map, an OSM map, or the City Navigator map provided by Garmin itself?

Going back to OsmAnd, if you see any map errors, you can help correct and update the map by editing it in OpenStreetMap since OSM is the map data used by OsmAnd.

Comment

Sir pyth777, i didn't mean to put down Garmin. I really am a novice as far as using nav hardware or software is concerned. I did mention that the Garmin map installed in my brother's hardware was out of date. Maybe that caused its failure to guide us properly. Be that as it may, when we were feeling hopelessly lost, I gave my cellphone (with the OsmAnd software installed) to my daughter and instructed her to activate OsmAnd, hoping it would help. It really did! We were guided on the right track and soon arrived at our destination. I'm thinking maybe the difference is that the OsmAnd had updated maps while the Garmin did not.

Comment

Sir seav, I'll try to check which map was loaded. From Mactan airport, our first stop was the MC Briones branch of BPI. It was during this route when we got lost. But from the bank to our hotel, Garmin worked fine.

Comment

Working...
          X