Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to have Power Supply for Nuvi on my dirt bike

Hi kuyas,

I am planning to install a power supply source on my dirtbike. When I visited my mechanic yesterday he asked me for an electrical diagram. I dont really know what hes talking about

so kuyas and ates help me with this one. I tried to pm ravewave to ask for suggestion but guess he is busy.

Thanks in advance...

Prost!

Originally posted by lordbench View Post
    Hi kuyas,

I am planning to install a power supply source on my dirtbike. When I visited my mechanic yesterday he asked me for an electrical diagram. I dont really know what hes talking about

so kuyas and ates help me with this one. I tried to pm ravewave to ask for suggestion but guess he is busy.

Thanks in advance...

Prost!
    what bike? if it's a yamaha dt be carefull as they are still 6V.

12 Volt bike:
    - what do you want to power? (lemme guess.. a nuvi 710? )
    - do you want to power anything else asides from that? (phone in tankbag, whatever...)
    - do you want it switched or permanently powered?
    how confident are you doing it yourself? (if your mechanic is asking for a diagram i wouldnt trust him too much here... unless of course you have a high tech canbus dirtbike) because it really is dirt simple (pardon the pun)
    Last edited by Jan; 06-07-2013, 12:14.
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Here's what I did. Got a cigar lighter and wired it into the battery with an in-line fuse. I can use the same auto charger adapter for both Nuvi and 60csX.

If you don't want to make it permanent, use alligator clips at the ends.

You should be able to get what you need at CDRKing.

Here's a crude wiring diagram for a 12 VDC battery. The center post is positive.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hennme69c; 06-08-2013, 08:12.
      Experiencia Docet

Comment

First thing's first... what make/model bike do you have and/or does it have a 6V or 12V system?

If it has a 12V system, connection is fairly straightforward (as hennme69c has shown). However, I'd go one step higher and energize the socket only when the ignition is switched on.

For a 6V system, it gets tricky. The voltage is high enough to destroy most gadgets designed for 5V operation but too low to drive a typical 12V-to-5V car adapter/charger. There are a few methods to go around this but let's proceed to that only if we're sure that your bike uses a 6V system.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Hi mga Kuyas,

Thanks for the prompt replies and advises. Appreciate it.

Well the diagram will help me a lot and there have been suggestion regarding the use of the cigarette lighter. I will print the diagrams and bring it to my cousin cum-feeling-mechanic

Ill post photos when we are successful

Btw, my bike is an xr200 using 12V.

Prost!

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
            First thing's first... what make/model bike do you have and/or does it have a 6V or 12V system?

If it has a 12V system, connection is fairly straightforward (as hennme69c has shown). However, I'd go one step higher and energize the socket only when the ignition is switched on.

For a 6V system, it gets tricky. The voltage is high enough to destroy most gadgets designed for 5V operation but too low to drive a typical 12V-to-5V car adapter/charger. There are a few methods to go around this but let's proceed to that only if we're sure that your bike uses a 6V system.
            the only thing i would recommend to change is the negative wire from the cig lighter, dont ground it but loop it back to the battery. eliminates ground interference noise in the cigarette lighter
            Last edited by Jan; 06-08-2013, 12:40.

Comment

Buy this one po..only $10.00
              waterproof DC/DC Converter Regulator 12V Step down to 5V 15W 3A female usb hole

Then use USB to MicroUSB cable to power any garmin unit

or kung recta na try this one

Last edited by pyth777; 06-09-2013, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by pyth777 View Post

this one steps down to 5V? linky?

Comment

yes sir Jan, here is the link in ebay..Php 513+514 shipping so only 1027.00 lang po (quick install )
                  http://www.ebay.ph/itm/Waterproof-DC...1#ht_943wt_934

Comment

Buy this one po..only $10.00
                    waterproof DC/DC Converter Regulator 12V Step down to 5V 15W 3A female usb hole

Then use USB to MicroUSB cable to power any garmin unit

or kung recta na try this one

The problem with Garmin Nuvi GPS powered by standard Mini-B USB cable is that they won't be detected as a Garmin Power C.able!

They will enter USB Mode and delay displaying a Map

The reason being, there is a voltage detect circuit inside the Nuvi, with a Resistor off +ve rail, that is wired to Pin#5 on the Mini B USB socket. It needs to see another resistor, external in the USB Power Cable, to GND. This creates a Potential Divider, giving the required Detect Voltage on that sense wire inside the Garmin.

http://RoadGuide.ph/forums/showpost.php?p=63331

http://RoadGuide.ph/forums/showpost.php?p=63512

Here is an e-mail reply I received from http://3brpowersports.com/ that offer a number of special Garmin Nuvi Power options for use on motorcycles, powersport vehicles etc etc.

David,

Cool stuff and nice work! Yes, the magic to the Garmin power cable is a resistor across the USB Mini B Sense pin (sometimes referred to as the “X” pin) and ground. This completes an internal circuit that provides a low voltage that determines data mode versus navigation mode.

This modification can be made by anyone with the skills and patience to either hack a standard cable or make their own using USB plug parts. One problem with making your own is how do you seal it? With these issues in mind we had cables made in short lengths suitable for powersports vehicles. Short cables prevent hazardous cable routing that may affect steering or interfere with other vehicle operation.

It didn’t take long for the car folks to figure out that this is a great solution for charging a USB device at the same time they are powering their GPS. All you need is one of our cables and a two port USB charging port such as the Griffin Power Jolt or Belkin that fits into the cigarette lighter. Due to this demand we now offer Garmin power cables in 24” and 36” lengths.

As for orientation, we designate per our diagram for our own purposes. While the “direction” follows the common pictures of USB plugs there isn’t a standard that we are aware of.

The Garmin Nuvi series all have “upside down” USB Mini B sockets. That’s why our Garmin power cables all have USB Mini B RA UP configuration. With RA Up, the cable exits toward the bottom of the GPS. It sounds as though this is not a configuration that works with your waterproof enclosure. BTW – some of your imbedded pics didn’t show up in my email but I’m pretty sure I know that they look like.

You have discovered the disadvantage to using a cigarette socket and a USB power port for motorcycle applications. The Griffin and Belkin adapters are well made reliable power sockets for automobiles but suck for powersports vehicles. They aren’t weather proof without wrapping them in tape or gooping them up, are bulky and it’s difficult to maintain a reliable connection. Enter the…(drum roll please) TAPP Lite USB power port. Rugged, weatherproof and easy to mount in either panel mount or universal mount types.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments regarding 3BR Powersports products.

Cheers,

Don Blackwell
                    3BR Powersports, LLC
                    PO Box 2798
                    Saratoga, CA 95070-4556
                    408-725-8010 (direct)
                    408-891-4603 (cell)
                    408-877-1824 (FAX)
                    For those who don't feel competent to buy a 5P Mini USB cable from say CDR King, cut it open carefully and solder a tint resistor between Pin#5 (or USB 'X' pin) and GND, 3BR Powersports sell a special Cable that has 90 Degree Mini N USB Plug, for plugging in to a Garmin Nuvi (important if using a handlebar mount case on a bike!).

http://3brpowersports.com/

USB Power Cables for Garmin™ GPS

USB power cables with special circuitry inside to allow Garmin™ GPS such as the Nuvi® to operate while charging. These cables have the same function as the Garmin power cable that has the cigarette plug at one end. Cables are USB Type A to USB Type B Mini Right Angle Up.

Note: this is power cable, not a data cable. It cannot be used for data transfer.

Fits:
                    Nuvi® Models, 1200, 1250, 1260T, 1300, 1300LM, 1350, 1350T, 1390LMT, 1390T, 1450, 1450LMT, 1390T, 1450, 1450LMT, 1490T, 2370LT, 250, 250W, 200, 200W, 205, 2200, 2250, 2250LT, 2300, 2300LM, 2350, 2350LMT, 2350LT, 2360LMT, 2360LT, 255, 255W, 260, 260W, 265T, 265WT, 270, 275T, 295W, 350, 360, 370, 465T, 500, 550. StreePilot® i3, i5
                    ZUMO® 220
                    Oregon® - All*
                    Colorado® 300, 400C, 400i, 400t
                    Edge® 500, 605, 705, 800
                    Most Magellan & TomTom GPS with USB-MiniB connection.

*Fully weatherproof when used with TAPP CAPPed Garmin Power cable.
                    Last edited by Britster; 06-16-2013, 22:23. Reason: added info on special USB Cable from 3brpowersports.com

Comment

From my experience..yes It will go to connect USB mode then after 30 seconds it will load map start up and viola working garmin using the above devices..Same happen when i used china gps car usb charger such as go cruise and magellan usb charger it will eventually go to standard start up after some delays. Also using garmin std usb cable connected to any usb supplies will eventually make your gps operational..just my observations based on my own tweaking..

Comment

Car Motorcycle charger for all nuis

But to settle all issue..This one is the approrpriate one for garmin
                        Fully configured for all garmin nuvis.no more delays and other issues

GARMIN nuvi GPS receiver direct hardwire car charger power DC adapter cord

also known as Garmin nuvi GPS motorcycle hardwire car charger harley
                        Compatible and specially designed for all garmin nuvi gps navigators

cost $15.50 dollars only

Last edited by pyth777; 06-16-2013, 19:32.

Comment

But to settle all issue..This one is the approrpriate one for garmin
                          Fully configured for all garmin nuvis.no more delays and other issues

GARMIN nuvi GPS receiver direct hardwire car charger power DC adapter cord

also known as Garmin nuvi GPS motorcycle hardwire car charger harley
                          Compatible and specially designed for all garmin nuvi gps navigators

cost $15.50 dollars only

Thanks for this post about this compact 12V wired accessory that will deliver 5VDC to right angled USB Mini B (and presumably has the correct value resistor between Pin #5 and Gnd, so a Garmin Nuvi GPS, identifies it correctly as a Power Cable).

Considering the 3BR PowerSports USB Cable costs $12.95 - $17.95 (depending on length), and one still needs a waterproofed USB socket, mounted on your bike, this indeed is a very cost effective and compact solution (if you are not skilled at DIY and electronics/soldering etc).

Can you please give/confirm a URL Link to this NEW GARMIN nuvi GPS receiver direct hardwire car charger power DC adapter cord?

Is this the same one (although via different supplier - could not find on the Suppliers eBay Store you posted in reply to Jan, for this Garmin specific version):-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-nuvi-...-/190606805571
                          Last edited by Britster; 06-16-2013, 23:14.

Comment

Yes sir same item different name but function the same..
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-...item2c57ca3425

Comment

Alternative to Garmin 12V PSU

I notice that the ebay seller edosupply also offer a very neat 12V Power outlet Plug PSU for Garmin GPS using USB Mini B (inserts into Cigar Lighter Socket).

This is not only very small and neat (especially useful on a motorcycle), but attractive price US $9.75

Garmin nuvi 250 255W 265WT 270 GPS USB car charger auto

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37965[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]37966[/ATTACH]
                              • high quality car charger adapter
                              • ultra compact durable design
                              • with LED indicator

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37967[/ATTACH]

also fit Garmin nüvi GPS, StreetPilot (USB port charging)

and other compatible devices

Brand New Item !

compatible to Garmin item #: 010-10723-14, 010-11478-03

high quality brand new car charger for Garmin GPS

this is not a cell phone charger

NO PC mode, use your GPS while charging

Length: 5.5' (170cm) easy routing long flat cable (not coiled cable)

(no traffic receiver function)

SPECIFICATIONS
                              model Garmin StreetPilot, 250, 255W, 265WT, 270,
                              specification 12V~24V input, 5V, 1200mA output, e13, RoHS compliance, heavy duty cable, LED indicator
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X