This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Head Units FAQ

If you have a Head unit/Car stereo with Built in GPS capability please read this FAQ page first before posting question. The following FAQ are opinions of forum member/s and does not necessarily mean endorsement of RG specially of any software other than RG Maps.

1. I have an AVT GPS head unit/ Papago GPS Head unit / etc. etc. where can I download a map update?

Answer: Please google the GPS software maker that you are using for their website and contact them directly. Roadguide does not offer any other maps other than the Roadguide Garmin compatible maps and the Navitel map. Please make sure you understand the RG policy on the availability of the maps.

2. I have a China brand Head unit, where can I download a map update?

Answer: You have to be specific, you need to mention what GPS OS and or Software are you using, there are so many out there, but bottomline, if it is not a Garmin map or Navitel map compatible, then chances are you will not get it be able to get it from Roadguide.

3. I have a China Brand Head unit (running on WinCE, Android, etc.), where can I buy a GPS software and Map for it?

Answer: Roadguide community maps are compatible only with units that uses Garmin maps and Navitel nm2 maps. This means that if you want to buy software for your Head unit, get a Garmin or Navitel software. The bad news is that Garmin XT is already discontinued, so no more means to buy them online or from Garmin. Navitel they do offer their software for most OS, but they are a bit hard to find, you will need a bit of googling to find an online store that offers the Navitel software you need. Make sure it is also nm2 compatible not nm3, which means only up to Navitel 5.0.

4. Where can I download/purchase a Garmin compatible software for my GPS Unit running on WinCE?

Answer:
    As mentioned, unfortunately Garmin has discontinued Garmin XT for WinCE, so they are not available in their online stores or in their shops. So as of now there are no more readily available Garmin software for WinCE.

5. I bought a GPS head unit for my Car, and read all the above FAQ, so can't you help me get it working properly?

Answer:
    Well aside from trying Navitel, you can also try to contact Papago and ask if they have a program that is compatible with your Head unit. At least with them you can get map updates. If you want the free maps from Roadguide, you really as of now have to figure out a way to install either a Garmin software or a Navitel software. You may refer to some of the topics about Garmin XT and Navitel in the main page of the forum.
    Last edited by arvin555; 04-22-2013, 23:05.

Pretty nice FAQ Arvin. Though, I think you should add one more to the list:

6. If I am in the market for a new head unit, which brand/model have native support for Garmin maps?

For now, only Kenwood has a strong partnership with Garmin. Their navigation hardware are actually OEMed to Garmin. Most of their head unit models beginning with DNX-xxxx would have the Garmin GPS hardware built-in.

Head unit models that begin with DDX-xxxx may require an external GPS module. These external GPS modules would have a model that starts with KNA-xxxx.

More info here: https://www.garmin.com/kenwood/site/displayDeviceList
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
    X