GPS with Video Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS with Video Out

Hi all. My first post here. I am not yet a full blown GPS user, just using google maps frequently on my iphone.

Though it is not yet really that essential here in Cebu, it would be cool to have a real time location in the car, even just on a 2d map.

So, may I ask if any GPS unit that has a video out that I can connect to my car head unit?

I don't think there's a standalone GPS that can readily output a composite video through a standard RCA connector. Though, I can think of a few alternatives you can try:

1. I don't have an iPhone but do explore the possibility of getting the video sent to your 2DIN through an A/V cable and continue using Google Maps or any third-party navigation app. You can't use the RG map, AFAIK.

2. Find out if your 2DIN has an option to accept a proprietary GPS module. But check if it is compatible with the RG maps. If the module runs the Garmin software (through WinCE) or natively on hardware, I'm about 99.99% sure it will be able to take in the RG maps.

3. Replace your 2DIN with a model that has built-in navigation or has the option to accept a GPS module. Many China-made 2DINs run WinCE as its base OS and use Garmin Mobile XT on top of it. Aside from that, I know of only Kenwood that uses a native Garmin hardware either built-in or available as an optional external module. As an example, pictured below is the actual model I use.

Good luck!

Last edited by oj88; 10-25-2012, 09:33.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the China Unbranded all-in-one GPS was definitely a choice but I ended up buying a Pioneer 2din DVD Player today.

Which simplifies my next move: a car GPS. Just some questions:

1. I see lots of Garmin users here and I think the price difference between a NUVI and the unbranded GPS is not that big so I might as well get the garmin. The dilemma now is which one??

2. I also noticed that this is a contributor site. I am from Cebu. Are there maps already made for Cebu? I love maps also and would be contributing as soon as I will be familiar with the how-tos here. :-)

3. I havent used a car GPS yet. Does it look like google maps in 2d mode?

Comment

1. Definitely get a Garmin. Not quite familiar with the latest models, but a quick search reveals that Garmin Singapore carries models specifically for the Philippines (links below). But if you intend to use the RG map, any model should work. Model choices usually depends on local availability, feature sets, and your budget. I'd let the others chime in to suggest models.

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/on.../nuvi_2575_ph/
        http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/on.../nuvi_1360_ph/

2. Detailed map for Cebu? That's a big YES! See sample screencaps below:

Cebu - Far

Cebu - Near

3. Garmin GPSs gives you a choice to navigate using 2D or 3D views. I don't know how I should compare it to Google Maps, but this is what it looks like on my 2DIN so you can formulate your own opinion. Suffice to say, the RG map looks practically identical on any GPS receiver.

Navigating...

Turn preview...

Turn list...
        Last edited by oj88; 10-26-2012, 11:05.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Wow, thats impressive!

So, its Garmin then and I think I have narrowed down my choice Garmin Nuvi 50 and Nuvi 3450.

Question lang, if I buy from Amazon (which is cheaper), can the map be updated to the Philippines using OSD or Roadguide? Wala bang mga locks to?

Comment

just a warning when buying online. you could get taxed for the item(s) you bought so also consider that before pushing through.

with regards to the map. yes, you can opt to use the osm and/or 'standard' rg map. no need for unlock codes or anything.
            got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Thanks for the information @legtu. Im still a noob when it comes to car GPS.

I do have two Garmin GPS watches for running and triathlon though, purchased also in the US, no taxes. :-)

Comment

Working...
              X