This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basecamp

There was a small discussion about the difference between Mapsource and Basecamp and that Garmin is moving towards basecamp from Mapsource.

Let's discuss it here!

Update: July 10, 2014
    Basecamp being easier to install for newbies now has it's own topic here:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?77-Basecamp

It includes some tutorials and tips on how to use it.
    Last edited by arvin555; 07-10-2014, 23:25.

My short experience with Basecamp.

Naturally all the controls and functions were a little bit hard to figure out, takes a bit of getting used to.

I could not figure out however:

1. How to simulate a route.
    2. How to draw a track/line.
    3. I could not figure out how to load map to GPS!

I can confirm though that the RG maps I have in my laptop were being displayed by Basecamp as well.

Kuya Legtu said that he will some tips and answer questions about basecamp here.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Can you share how to do it (if allowable on this thread)thus how to transfer the C Map etc....

Comment

Kuya JS,

All I know is that I had Mapsource working on my Laptop for the longest time, then when I bought a Nuvi 1300 LM unit, I went through the hassle of setting up the Lifetime map updater and it automatically installed Basecamp. When I checked basecamp it then had all the maps I have in the laptop, including our RG maps in it.

So I think that it probably uses the same registries as mapsource so that you might not have to do anything to load the RG maps. Kuya don't use the term "C map" coz there is such a map out there, for nautical charts

Please also read my comments above, so far I am not yet convinced that basemap is a good alternative for mapsource in terms of preparing contributions for upload. Hope Kuya Legtu can convince us otherwise

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Just downloaded the BaseCamp 3.3.3 from garmin. I like the drag and drop GUI for entering the route. Inserting intermediate way point is easy.

I can not find the menu for loading map to the GPS.
          d1754
          "Do not worry for tomorrow because tomorrow has worry of its own" - Mathew 6:34

The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain;
          those who accept it avoid the snares of death
          . Proverbs 13:14

Comment

guys,

with the basecamp open, connect the GPSr to the computer and you'll see it on the left panel.
            then you can choose what to do
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

in basecamp...
              - new routes, tracks and waypoints can be created by clicking the 'new' button found in the toolbar at the top or under the 'tools' menu

- custom routes, tracks and waypoints are now combined into a single list which can be found on the left side (by default) in the data window

- maps that are already installed in your system are automatically recognized by basecamp so whatever map you have in mapsource will also be in basecamp

- to upload a map, connect the gps or insert the memory card into a reader and it'll come up under the devices list in basecamp. right-click on the device or memory card and select 'install map...'
              got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

additionally...
                - you can create a waypoint (while using the 'select' tool) by placing the cursor anywhere near the road or poi until a bubble comes up. inside the bubble, click on the double 'arrow' and you'll see an option to create a waypoint.

- for routes, an alternative from the usual click on starting point then click destination is that you can just drag a waypoint from your waypoint list as the starting point and/or destination.

- you can create a track from a route and vice-versa by right-clicking on a track/route and selecting create route or create track button option. you can also double-click on a route or track in the data window on the left and select the create route or create track button found beside the print button

- you can watch a route or track simulation by right-clicking on a track/route in the data window and selecting the playback option

- the map can be zoomed in/out, moved around and rotated easily by placing the cursor on the blue arrow at the top-left of the map window

- to upload waypoints, tracks and/or routes into your gps, select whatever data you want to upload in the data window then drag them into your device (found on the device list). you can also use the 'send to' or 'move to' option found under the edit menu.
                Last edited by legtu; 08-17-2012, 16:30.

Comment

Thanks Kuyas for your tutorials.

Will try them out as soon as I can.

One thing, is it possible to choose portions of map to upload? Say only Luzon map from RG contributor's map?

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

yup. you can select all or certain portions of the map to upload.

Comment

Kuya Legtu, I was "forced" to tinker with basecamp today because of my meeting with xerxes, for some reason his unit can be detected by basecamp but not mapsource. Some questions:

1. Does basecamp still need training center? I ask because if guys are going to use basecamp exclusively and would like to delete mapsource, can they delete training center as well?

2. Can you open multiple basecamp at a time? Tried, this afternoon didn't work. If you can't how do you transfer say waypoints and tracks so that you can upload the separate files to the correct upload area?

I'm back to newbie mode so please bare with me.

Would also be nice to have some feedbacks from the Admins if they think it is in fact the direction that we should go to, basecamp instead of mapsource?

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

1 - basecamp doesn't need training center to install
                        on a side note, mapsouce doesn't need training center as well once mapsource is already installed.

2 - you need to create a shortcut with an "/AllowMultipleInstances" parameter if you want to run multiple instances of basecamp
                        (eg. "C:\Program Files\Garmin\BaseCamp\basecamp.exe" /AllowMultipleInstances)

btw in basecamp, instead of having multiple instances running, you can manage them by having multiple lists instead. once you're done, you can export whichever list you want and save it as .gdb for upload. so instead of managing multiple basecamp instances, you just shift between lists, move data between them then export once you're done.

with regards to having basecamp instead mapsource, imo, i don't see any reason to 'abandon' one for another since both of them have their own pros and cons. having both available is better since the user can choose which works for them.

one pro of basecamp is that it's available for windows and mac. finding a way to install the rg map in a mac could be a problem though.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the replies and clarifications!

I agree maybe no need to make multiple instances, but that is also nice that it could if I needed t to, specially as I am used to copying and pasting to another blank mapsource.

I agree that there is no need to be comparing them to decide which RG should use, as they have their own pros and cons, though as of now as per your replies, most of what mapsource can do Basecamp can do also.

I have both in my laptop, but I do use mapsource as default as I learned how to contribute on it.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Basecamp

Well having played with base-camp, I feel as much as I don't like change, we will have to move over as that is what Garmin has decided.
                            When I installed bc, it picked the maps and defaults of mapsource. I also like to have the wider roads displayed on my gps, and that also displayed automatically. and therefore the different icons were displayed like before. So it all looks the same. Some of the tool/ribbon icons at the top have changed. But not a real problem.
                            I was surprised that Garmin kept to the same icons and has not enlarged the library for them on BC.
                            The tracks that I was given of the colour coding routes for Manila did not transfer over, well its did, but lost the data. You have drag the original route file into a new route folder, this you have to create, then drag and drop.
                            You have to be very careful not to delete any of your saved WP's from My Collection folder, as this is the master list.
                            I will keep mapsource for the time being, just in case, but will endeavour to use basecamp for the time being.
                            I don't like the search facilities at the moment, it looks good, until it takes the map display where it wants to go, not necessarily where you want it to show. And you have to keep changing your mouse icon from magnify to hand over and over again to get the positioning right for the search area. Again I have to get familiar.
                            Yeah I forgot to mention, the default for saved WP's is not compatible, when saving change from default GPX to GDB w=hen you are uploading corrections etc to RG, this was mentioned before, but its worth mentioning again.
                            John
                            Last edited by jnieurzyla; 09-05-2012, 09:08.

Comment

I guess I have to dl bc just to see my polygons
                              Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
                              - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Working...
                              X