Navitel Observation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by travelbug View Post
    you cant download apps that wont work on your device from the android market.
    I double checked again, and gps booster is not in the market anymore! It's not even in the"my apps" list, anyways if anybody wants a copy of that app, just pm me, it's a free app so I guess there should be no problem with that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeyking View Post
      I double checked again, and gps booster is not in the market anymore! It's not even in the"my apps" list, anyways if anybody wants a copy of that app, just pm me, it's a free app so I guess there should be no problem with that, right?

i check last night and its still there. hmmmm.....
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

gps booster in the android market is incompatible with the sgs2, it says...
        travelbug, I can also see GPS Booster from the Market. You might want to try going the PC route to the Market. "Download it" from there, then turn on your device and its wifi, it will automatically install.

To Monkeyking, do you know what GPS Booster does to our devices? I kinda want to know because that app is quite old (last year), and maybe there are new measures in place for our device. There are lots more apps that cater to speeding up the GPS lock like Fasterfix, GPS Aid, and the Darky ROM forum's gps.conf file for each region (Asia, Europe, etc.). Most of them need root access.

By the way, since this thread is for Navitel observations, I'll make a new thread for us Samsung Galaxy S2 users to discuss tips and tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
          i check last night and its still there. hmmmm.....
          It is still there but you cannot download it to a non supported device like the galaxy s2 whether you install it thru you're phone or the web market

sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Comment

This is really weird, so you guys can still see it in the market? I'm thinking that I may not be seeing the app because I flashed to kg6 stock rom last time, maybe that had something to do with it? I'll try to revert back to KF1 from my backups to see if the app will appear in the market again.

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
            To Monkeyking, do you know what GPS Booster does to our devices? I kinda want to know because that app is quite old (last year), and maybe there are new measures in place for our device. There are lots more apps that cater to speeding up the GPS lock like Fasterfix, GPS Aid, and the Darky ROM forum's gps.conf file for each region (Asia, Europe, etc.). Most of them need root access.
            Honestly, I really don't know what gps booster does. I just read it on the xda forums, and tried it out. Yup I have faster fix and gps status installed before, and they never got gps lock as fast as gps booster does.

Last night, after flashing a new firmware, this is with a newly formatted device, I tried gps booster with navitel and got a lock within 1 minute 10 seconds. One thing I noticed though, gps booster takes a while to lock when your moving, almost 4 minutes.

Comment

its naturally harder to get a lock when youre moving
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

It is still there but you cannot download it to a non supported device like the galaxy s2 whether you install it thru you're phone or the web market

If you can see it on the market, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to download it and test it.

Comment

travelbug, it does say it is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2. I have just downloaded it via the PC route (I have attached part of a screen shot). I wonder if it has something to do with VillainROM's version of the Market app?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeyking View Post
                    This is really weird, so you guys can still see it in the market? I'm thinking that I may not be seeing the app because I flashed to kg6 stock rom last time, maybe that had something to do with it? I'll try to revert back to KF1 from my backups to see if the app will appear in the market again.

Honestly, I really don't know what gps booster does. I just read it on the xda forums, and tried it out. Yup I have faster fix and gps status installed before, and they never got gps lock as fast as gps booster does.

Last night, after flashing a new firmware, this is with a newly formatted device, I tried gps booster with navitel and got a lock within 1 minute 10 seconds. One thing I noticed though, gps booster takes a while to lock when your moving, almost 4 minutes.
                    Monkeyking, alright I'll try GPS Booster out, hopefully it improves the speed. Though I want my S2 to mimic my wife's Galaxy Tab in terms of GPS lock speed. I have described how fast it is in the other thread (Samsung Galaxy S2 Discussion).

Comment

Update, it's confirmed, after flashing back my stock KF1 backup, I can see gps booster in the market now.

Comment

travelbug, it does say it is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2. I have just downloaded it via the PC route (I have attached part of a screen shot). I wonder if it has something to do with VillainROM's version of the Market app?
                        this is mine.

vROM is still using the old android market. could be that it cant recognize the new gb fw, modem or kernel.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by travelbug; 08-12-2011, 15:16.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed about Navitel (and possibly the GPS Status app) is that it heats up my phone pretty significantly AFTER I close both it and the GPS connection. When in use, it is only just a little warm. Pretty weird experience yesterday, I was at the Blue Leaf Pavilion and thought why not play with my GPS since the sky was so open and bright. I fired up Navitel, and after 55secs got a lock. I then turned it off at once to go back to my niece's party. I placed my Galaxy S2 on the table and played with my niece for maybe 10minutes. When I got back, I touched my phone and it was very warm! (Warmer than when Navitel was on) I asked my wife if she used it, and she said no. I thought by now (10mins) it would have cooled down, though I think it shouldn't even get warm with just 55secs worth of GPS locking. It later gradually cooled down. When I got home at 8:30pm (BTW I used the GPS at 4:00pm, my battery was full at that time), I looked at my phone and I only have 45% battery left! I left it alone the whole night, when I woke up this morning, it was at 10%! I quickly turned it off, booted, and charged. Right now it is again stable.

By the way, before I went out, I fired up GPS Status to get fresh Ephemeris. Since I use GPS Status all the time right before I turn Navitel on, I don't know which one's the culprit. I noticed this heat problem every time I close Navitel down, but didn't really realize it until yesterday (that it heats up ALL the time pala after closing). It is as if it does last minute housekeeping after closing down, and it never finishes. I checked the Battery Usage when I got home, and found out that GPS Status is taking up 32% of the pie, which is odd since normally the display takes most of it (though I hardly turned it on in the party). I tapped on GPS Status, it says it used the CPU for only 11 seconds. Even if I kept turning on the display, GPS Status was always at the top. That's the reason I'm also suspecting it. Anyone have this problem?

Comment

Another thing I've noticed about Navitel (and possibly the GPS Status app) is that it heats up my phone pretty significantly AFTER I close both it and the GPS connection.
                            that is not normal i believe. i think you just minimized both apps and did not close/exit them. make sure to exit navitel and gps status after use. to make sure use the taskbar and exit them if they are running. antennas like hsda, gps etc use more battery when they have a weak signal. so if your gps is on and your inside the house it will use more battery.

alternatively, you can also use setcpu to downclock and undervolt. i used to notice heat build up when using navitelplus charger, and while playing some games. not any more...

Comment

I checked the Battery Usage when I got home, and found out that GPS Status is taking up 32% of the pie, which is odd since normally the display takes most of it (though I hardly turned it on in the party). I tapped on GPS Status, it says it used the CPU for only 11 seconds. Even if I kept turning on the display, GPS Status was always at the top. That's the reason I'm also suspecting it. Anyone have this problem?

I can confirm that, my kg2 rom consumes 2% battery life for the whole night while idle, lately it has been consuming 20%, my battery usage stats has gps status taking up almost 24% of total usage.

For now, I have gps status frozen for further observations.

Comment

looking at % battery usage is not an effective way of gauging things if you dont take usage into account.
                                so if you are using your gps for an extended period, of course apps like gps status will take up more %, especially so when you have specific settings turned on- and it will use up more battery than the screen.
                                a better way to test it is to download betterbatterystats and look for partial wakelocks.
                                look for gps status and navitel and if they are keeping your phone awake even after you exit the programs.

on my phone with villainrom 2.4.2, nimpehtamine 2.0.5 kernel, kg6 modem, i get 1-2% battery loss at night even after using navitel or gps status. i have no wakelocks from both programs and no running backround processes.

Comment

Working...
                                X