X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Contribute Tracks using Navitel

Intro:
    This is a guide on how to Record Tracks from Navitel in order for you to contribute them to Roadguide.

This is known for All OS which Navitel works, except Java, Bada and iphone/ipad. For iOS like Iphone and ipad please visit How to Contribute tracks for iOS

Software needed:
    Navitel and RG Navitel Philippine map in your device.
    Mapsource installed in your PC
    Whatever software (if needed) to extract data from your device to PC.

1. With Navitel running on your device,

2. Tap on the Menu icon to get to Main Menu

3. Tap on Settings Settings.

4. Look for the Track's settings button, sometimes you need to Tap on "next" page button. Tap on the Track settings button.

5. First Tap on Track's folder

6. Check if it is Memory card:\NavitelContent\Tracks or you can choose a different folder. Tap OK. This is where the tracks will be saved. Then Tap on Track's Format.

7. Then Tap on Track's Format, and make sure it is set in *.mps Tap OK then Tap on Track Visualization
    (updated: suggest to use .mps instead, if you use gpx you will get an error when you open in Mapsource, mps doesn't. If you use gpx, you can still convert to gpx usable with mapsource using GPSbabel or Mapedit.)

8. Check the box to make Navitel draw a line on the tracks you recorded in the Map. Then Tap OK. Then Tap on Track Record.

9. Then Tap track record, Turn on.

10. You can turn track record on/off quickly in map view, if you turn on the record track icon in Settings/Interface/Interface/ and check track record (this is default anyway).

11. Now after you drive around recording tracks, you can then access your 1 second tracks (yes 1sec tracks for navitel), in memorycard:\NavitelContent\Tracks\

12. You can now either remove your memory card, or connect your device to your PC and download the mps files into your computer.

13. Once the file is in your computer, you can now use mapsource to edit/fix the tracks, according to the RG tracks standard, then upload to RG Tracks contribution page.

Addendum:
    If you already have gpx files, you need to to use gpsbabel or mapedit (both free) to open and then save back to gpx which will then be compatible with mapsource.
    For more info visit using Mapedit to convert gpx files recorded from Navitel
    If you prefer not to use other software and just mapsource, then better use *.mps as you will only need mapsource.
    Last edited by arvin555; 08-14-2011, 00:59.

This is nice kuya
    *** Ohhh it's the one and only SioKoy!!! ***

Comment

thank you for this

so i cant upload the gpx files directly to RG right?
      can you give me a linky on how to convert and properly format the tracks for gbx export to RG.
      its been such a looong tiiime since i last contributed (2009) that i have forgotten some steps.

TIA

Comment

open gpx in mapsource
        edit there
        save as gdb
        upload
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

great. ill get right on it tomorrow.
          ill post an upload or more Q's if i run into issues- hopefully uploads

Comment

if ever you encounter error in opening in mapsource. open first in mapedit and then export track as gdb.

Comment

open gpx in mapsource
              edit there
              save as gdb
              upload
              The above post of kuya Jan is the short version.

Kuyas my apologies I promised to work on how to edit 1sec tracks for contribution, but haven't had time to start, have some screenshots already though.

TTFN
              Arvin
              Last edited by arvin555; 08-12-2011, 00:25.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                The above post of kuya Jan is the short version.
                yup. short version preferred.
                my reason in posting my post above is that i encounter error in opening it directly using mapsource. (see screen shot below)
                i have same error on both v3 and v5 navitel using mapsource v6.16.3

solution would be to open it in mapedit and export as gdb.

kuya arv, somebody might have the same error so this might be a good thing to add in the "how to".

Comment

Noted,

will also try my 1sec tracks from Navitel if I get the same error, coz we were so optimistic and excited when we realized it saves directly to GPX so no need for other programs, just mapsource. Of course the How to will be really for general use, so will take into consideration Garmin as well as Navitel.

TTFN
                  arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                    Noted,

will also try my 1sec tracks from Navitel if I get the same error, coz we were so optimistic and excited when we realized it saves directly to GPX so no need for other programs, just mapsource. Of course the How to will be really for general use, so will take into consideration Garmin as well as Navitel.

TTFN
                    arvin
                    i forgot to mention pala kuya. after exporting to gdb, you will still use mapsource in editing the tracks.
                    mapedit will serve as a converter only.

Comment

Kuya Doki and other Navitel users other than iOS,

I updated the how to and now suggest that we choose *.mps instead, I tested this and it opens no problem with mapsource, no need for any other software.

Of course as Kuya Doki mentioned if you have 1sec tracks in gpx format, you may still use it by using mapedit to convert to gdb file. I also tries using GPSbabel to convert the gpx to gpx (yup crazy) and yes it did work, after converting the file using GPSbabel it then opened without a problem in mapsource.

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

no its not crazy...
                        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

yup. not crazy (as master hbt have said).

doesn't matter how you converted it. impt thing is you can use / open the data.
                          on the iphone thread, accdng to jayteecie, gdb file generated can't be opened in mapsource and should convert to gpx. which is quite the opposite on the error i encountered.

Comment

I meant Crazy coz you are converting the same file type to the same file type. It's like converting gdb to gdb, xls to xls, etc. But as we all confirmed, it does work.

Kuya Doki,
                            I wonder, the iOS tracks, it converts to either gdb or gpx? Not *.mps? On Symbian the choices are mps or gpx, and we learned that gpx needs to be converted, so I decided to suggest mps instead. No harm in this right? Coz at the end you save the 1sec files to gdb anyway using mapsource.

My test with .mps worked, it worked with Mapsource without any problem. Have you guys tried?

TTFN
                            Arvin

Comment

tracks generated by iPhone can be mps as per this thread. jtc adapted your info regarding .mps
                              http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=4470

agree. impt thing is there is a 1-sec track generated that we can use.

Comment

Working...
                              X