Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gmaputil - move/delete maps, stand-alone mapsource install fix, etc...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gmaputil - move/delete maps, stand-alone mapsource install fix, etc...

i'm releasing my own application - gmaputil.

what does it do?
    -move a map to a different drive/folder
    -delete a map
    -delete all installed maps
    -"repair" a corrupted mapsource or map installation (use the mapsource fix for the former and delete map for the latter)
    -apply a fix which will allow you to directly install mapsource w/o pre-installing training center. no more need for training center in order to install mapsource.

*added features with v0.4b
    -clear/delete the mapsource tile cache
    -verify/check the integrity of a roadguide ph map installer
    -stand-alone mapsource install
    -'clean garmin!'

current version is 0.4 beta.
    if you want to verify the integrity of the downloaded file, the hashes are:
    CRC-32: 9982a84e
    MD5: fbe9238951ef61ccfcac13bc35e3e4d9
    filesize: 1,170,944 bytes

the interface is pretty straight-forward and a confirmation is required for all functions. just hover the mouse cursor over a function if you need more explanation. all found maps are listed and can be selected on the left side of the buttons.

if "registry-edit mode" is selected/enabled, all operations/changes are done only to the registry (ie. if you delete a map with reg-edit mode enabled, the program will only delete the registry entries related to that map. no files are deleted).

with the move map function, the program won't allow you to move into a root drive. it will always require a directory where it's going to move the map into. a known limitation when moving is that it'll break the automated uninstall of that map (either found on the start menu or add/remove programs).

the delete function(s) will delete all of the files found on the directory where the map is installed. use it with caution or enable reg-edit mode and delete the files manually.

as always, the author (me) is not responsible for whatever damage the program might cause to your system.

post here if you encounter any problems or bugs that are related to the program.

***attached file updated to gmaputil v0.4.1.8b
    see post #3, post #7, post #16, post #22, post #23 for details with regards to version changes
    Attached Files
    Last edited by legtu; 05-11-2012, 22:49. Reason: program update...
    got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Originally posted by legtu View Post
    i'm releasing my own application - gmaputil.
    Tried this - easily deleted all of my unwanted maps. Nice utility - thanks.
    Last edited by registrar; 07-14-2011, 05:52. Reason: error

Comment

i updated gmaputil to v0.4b and added two new functions:

1) clear/delete the mapsource tile cache
      -if you're encountering map or graphic glitches under mapsource, use this function. when changing or trying out new typ's, the cache should also be cleared. i recommend closing mapsource before using this.

2) verify/check the integrity of a roadguide ph map installer
      -verifies if the installer that you downloaded is corrupted/incomplete or not. if it informs you that the file is corrupted, re-download the map installer and test it again.
      -this will work with *all* versions of the roadguide installer so long as rg keeps on using the same compression format

*under the hood fixes
      -reduced mem usage, minor optimizations, etc...

the updated program can be downloaded from post #1
      Last edited by legtu; 09-17-2011, 13:38.

Comment

BEWARE!

I downloaded Attached Files
        File Type: exe gmaputil.exe (678.3 KB)

My ZoneAlarm Extreme Security alerted me to that Files containing a Virus Infection - "Packed.Win32.PECompact"

Warming: Packed.Win32.PECompact is a very malicious item that designed to allow remote access to your computer to largely occupy precious system resource, trace your Internet habits to record/steal your personal information.

Thought I better send this WARNING in case your Anti-virus does not pick up 'Packed.Win32.PECompact' Virus

Do you have an 'uncompressed version' or as .Zip File, as the decompression may be triggering 'False Alert'?
        Last edited by Britster; 09-18-2011, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
          BEWARE!

I downloaded Attached Files
          File Type: exe gmaputil.exe (678.3 KB)

My ZoneAlarm Extreme Security alerted me to that Files containing a Virus Infection - "Packed.Win32.PECompact"

Thought I better send this WARNING in case your Anti-virus does not pick up 'Packed.Win32.PECompact' Virus

Do you have an 'uncompressed version' or as .Zip File, as the decompression may be triggering 'False Alert'?
          it's a false positive.

if you need more info about pecompact, you can visit their website here.

here's the scan report of gmaputil from my 2 fave online scanners:
          - virustotal
          - jotti

feel free to scan the file with other anti-virus engines.

as much as i'd want to release the software in its uncompressed state, it will also render it "unprotected". no point compressing the file with other archivers (zip, rar, etc.) since it'll only reduce the size by around 40kb or less and an overzealous AV would still likely report it as a false-positive. you might need to add gmaputil in the exclusion list if your AV refuses to execute the file.

i'll see what i can do to reduce the false-positive detection since i'm also working on some minor gui changes but it'll still be compressed with pecompact, just like the previous versions.
          Last edited by legtu; 09-18-2011, 15:43.

Comment

Tried this but Mapsource still won't install.
            1. Ran gmaputil.exe
            2. Clicked mapsource install fix
            3. Ran Mapsource_6163.exe

It still asks for previous Mapsource install. Am I doing it correctly?

Comment

@walter
              may i know what's your OS? 32 or 64bit?

are you logged in as an admin?

*** updated gmaputil attached on the first post
              what's new:
              - minor gui changes
              - added OS and administrator rights check
              - 64-bit OS compatibility (needs more testing)

i still haven't worked out pecompact causing the false detection.
              Last edited by legtu; 09-20-2011, 18:05. Reason: updated gmaputil

Comment

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on Asus UL20FT laptop. Yes, logged in as Admin.

Comment

@walter
                  i just finished the necessary functions needed to make it compatible with 64-bit OS'es, it should work fine now.

i've been concentrating mostly on the 32-bit operations so i can't guarantee full 64-bit compatibility yet.
                  Last edited by legtu; 09-20-2011, 11:56.

Comment

i made some minor adjustments w/c should minimize false-positive detections.

latest scans:
                    - virustotal
                    - jotti

Comment

@walter
                      i just finished the necessary functions needed to make it compatible with 64-bit OS'es, it should work fine now.

i've been concentrating mostly on the 32-bit operations so i can't guarantee full 64-bit compatibility yet.
                      Still does not work so I installed Training Center 3.65 and Mapsource 6.16.3 and it also won't install. Tried installing 6.15.7 and it also will not install. Error is Previous Mapsource not found.
                      Last edited by Walter; 09-22-2011, 06:17.

Comment

Wonder if this will do the trick for 64bit:
                        http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea....msi#post36849

still maybe Walter you can work with Kuya legtu in getting his program to work on 64 bit

Comment

i made some minor adjustments w/c should minimize false-positive detections.

latest scans:
                          - virustotal
                          - jotti

See ".exe" seen as Trojan - packed.win32.pecompact"
                          When creating a .exe as a Self extracting publication - some AV applications are reporting the output as "packed.win32.pecompact" trojan horse (kaspersky). Has anyone seen this issue? Any suggestions as to what things with allow via AV software to avoid it being noted as a threat?
                          Reply Posted:-

EDIT: <b>the error has just been fixed by Kaspersky. Future signature updates will fix the problem.</b>

It looks like that they forgot to fix the error in the SFX runtime as well. The same false positive occurred on other files. This is a false positive of course, as you can see it here:
                          http://www.virustotal.com/fr/analisis/6 ... 1271782353

We will report it to Kaspersky but I suggest you to do it too as explained here:
                          http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=13881

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                            Still does not work so I installed Training Center 3.65 and Mapsource 6.16.3 and it also won't install. Tried installing 6.15.7 and it also will not install. Error is Previous Mapsource not found.
                            it seems like what your encountering is a different problem and not with gmaputil itself.

doing the usual install of training center before mapsource should have solved it if it was an incompatibility prob with my app and the 64-bit OS.

you could try the manual unpack and install of the mapsource installer (as arvin mentioned).

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                              Wonder if this will do the trick for 64bit:
                              http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea....msi#post36849

still maybe Walter you can work with Kuya legtu in getting his program to work on 64 bit
                              Tried this and was able to install Mapsource but still the same error, it's looking for previous Mapsource. Must be something wrong with my system configuration.

Comment

Working...
                              X