X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_D View Post
    I have a question....

How MUCH memory can a stock nuvi 200 hold if I start recording 1s tracks?

I have a Long road trip tomorrow and I wanna make sure the thing doesn't choke ha ha ha.

I am thinking of moving the standard map to an SD card and leave the internal memory of the nuvi free to store logs...
    For roads that are already in the roadguide map, there's no need to track them again imho, unless you need those tracks for your personal travel records, or the tracks you are generating are of much higher resolution than what is presently in the roadguide map. Makes more sense to turn on tracking only in those areas where the roads are not yet on the map...

Comment

Got it.

I'll be Camarines Norte tomorrow and there's no road going from the Provincial Highway to Percale on the 1.06 demo map. I see it on Google Earth though

I think the distance is about 30kms so that's why I asked if the 1s tracking log will fit on a standard Nuvi 200.

Comment

21 minutes of recording will consume approx. 256kb of memory you can only record maximum of 10,000 points @ 1 sec/point that is approx 2hour 46min. of recording and this will consume approx. 2Mb. By the way you must also know where your nuvi save the track log. some save it in the internal mem some in the sd ram.

Comment

Thanks mucho!

Comment

hi dave,

then use the nutrack to extract the logs
            Last edited by hbt; 05-29-2009, 10:55.
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Yup...

I already uploaded a track extracted using nutrak.

Comment

Originally posted by elkabong View Post
                21 minutes of recording will consume approx. 256kb of memory you can only record maximum of 10,000 points @ 1 sec/point that is approx 2hour 46min. of recording and this will consume approx. 2Mb. By the way you must also know where your nuvi save the track log. some save it in the internal mem some in the sd ram.
                Another thing to look out for is the "wrap when full" feature when in recording mode. When the 10,000 pts. limit is reached, you will lose the earlier recorded parts of your track. As mentioned above, using the 1sec/pt gives us only about 2hrs & 46min. of recorded track. If you've recorded for say 3hrs & 46min., you've already lost the track you recorded the 1st hour as it will be overwritten in order to maintain the 10,000 pts. limit. So pls. be aware of your track recording elapsed time so you'll not lose any tracks unnecessarily. Best to download your tracks (if you have a laptop with you on the move) periodically just to be sure. However, this is not a problem with the 60/76CSx and other handheld GPS with mem. cards because tracks are automatically recorded and saved to the MC.
                Last edited by Borgie; 05-29-2009, 08:10.

Comment

Another thing to look out for is the "wrap when full" feature when in recording mode. When the 10,000 pts. limit is reached, you will lose the earlier recorded parts of your track. As mentioned above, using the 1sec/pt gives us only about 2hrs & 46min. of recorded track. If you've recorded for say 3hrs & 46min., you've already lost the track you recorded the 1st hour as it will be overwritten in order to maintain the 10,000 pts
                  In my expirience with my nuvi when your recording is near to 2hr 46 min you can simply stop recording and your nuvi will save the track you have just recorded.then simply start recording again your previous track log is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by elkabong View Post
                    In my expirience with my nuvi when your recording is near to 2hr 46 min you can simply stop recording and your nuvi will save the track you have just recorded.then simply start recording again your previous track log is safe.
                    Thanks for sharing sir.

Based on my experience with the 60CSx, once the 10,000 pts. limit is reached, it will start overwriting the earliest recorded track points, regardless of how many active tracks you have made (a new active track is generated everytime you switch on/off the GPS or recording mode). Haven't tried recording tracks with a Nuvi yet so don't really know if this applies to the Nuvi as well. But my understanding is, this is a track log limitation of the GPS device and once the limit is reached, it will overwrite older tracks to make way for the new. Maybe other Nuvi users can also share their tracking experience?
                    Last edited by Borgie; 05-29-2009, 11:56.

Comment

this is very informative . i have several tracks to contribute next week.

Also be sure to activate the where am I feature if you are still in the major highways/ intersection as in my experience, if you in an unpaved or no road (not in a map) , its difficult to activate the 1 sec interval as there is no way you can perform the 4 steps.

Comment

How will I know if my Nuvi is capable of 1 sec track interval? Ty

Comment

Originally posted by joisler View Post
                          How will I know if my Nuvi is capable of 1 sec track interval? Ty
                          Try this:
                          http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....9&postcount=11
                          It "start recording" button shows up, then you are A-ok.
                          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                            Try this:
                            http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....9&postcount=11
                            It "start recording" button shows up, then you are A-ok.
                            Ok, thanks.

Comment

Guys,

I'm little bit curious of this 1 sec "Hidden Track Log" trick and tried to search more... Fortunately was able to found something. Just in case somebody doesn't know yet. If the moderator think this is important, kindly put on sticky or something that contributors can easily notice.

1. Logs are located in \Garmin\Log\ .
                              2. Inside this directory a new folder will be created each time the logging starts.
                              3. Folder name will have the format "yyyymmdd_hhmmss" where y=year, m=month, d=day & h=hour, m=minute & s=seconds. (Note: time is in UTC).
                              4. The log file for track data is gps.bin
                              5. Convert the gps.bin file using WNutrak (from this website http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html#nutrak) to .gpx format.
                              6. Open the .gpx file in Mapsource and save to .gdb
                              7. Upload the file.

Note:
                              a) Logs created by this trick will not be auto-deleted. Therefore delete them to avoid filling up your memory space.
                              b) Even if you enable the 1 sec logging and you download the normal trip log from your GPS, the recording is still using the default nuvi setting. Hence, use the above procedure.
                              c) The 1 sec logging limit is your memory space, not the # of points (need validation).

These information was taken from "http://www.gpspassion.com/upload2/HiddenTrackLogHowTo.pdf". Refer to the document for more info.
                              br,
                              Rick

Comment

I noticed that this may just be applicable for the "unpatch" nuvi.. Mine is 205w software v5 and confirmed below procedures work.
                                br,
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X