Nuvi 1360 "Philippine Edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudi & Arvin,

After having utilized Navteq, I can readily say that I am not at all satisfied with what I have experienced.

Though I am not sure whether the same is true with other maps, Navteq directs the use of long winding roads to one's destination. I have yet to click on a detour several times to make sure that it would lead to a shorter route. It's really funny but I know a better route than what is being shown. I guess it's the default setting initiated by the map maker.

Second, there were several times that you cannot find a match for the street that you have entered but when you are merely traversing the roads near your desired street, you can see and read that your target street is existing.

Third, really lacks POI's as mentioned by Rudi. I was in Makati and it really took me a while to find one. Also, satellite connection is always on & off. Is it because of the edifices?

I guess it's high time to shift to RG.

Cheers!

akit

Comment

Akit,

You should try changing the settings on your GPSR, there is usually two, one is for "Faster route" and the other "Shorter route" that can make a big difference, I have always used shorter route before, but sometimes I get routed (even with RG map) into smaller streets that I'd rather not go through, so now it's on Faster route, which will chose bigger streets for the routing.

As for Street names, try searching in POI, but not sure if that will work. But this and also the lack of POIs, is of course why I still think RG map is the best

Thanks for your Review of the Navteq maps though
      Last edited by arvin555; 05-09-2011, 00:22.

Comment

Originally posted by akit View Post
        Rudi & Arvin,

After having utilized Navteq, I can readily say that I am not at all satisfied with what I have experienced.

Though I am not sure whether the same is true with other maps, Navteq directs the use of long winding roads to one's destination. I have yet to click on a detour several times to make sure that it would lead to a shorter route. It's really funny but I know a better route than what is being shown. I guess it's the default setting initiated by the map maker.

Second, there were several times that you cannot find a match for the street that you have entered but when you are merely traversing the roads near your desired street, you can see and read that your target street is existing.

Third, really lacks POI's as mentioned by Rudi. I was in Makati and it really took me a while to find one. Also, satellite connection is always on & off. Is it because of the edifices?

I guess it's high time to shift to RG.

Cheers!

akit
        Thanks for this useful info akit... at least I get to know the items i need to
        watch out for...I takes a lot of pain doing research for that first gps that would suit my need.

Comment

mblue,

My pleasure. Such expression of gratitude is likewise extended to Arvin, Rudi, hbt and the rest of RG Phils who truly take time to read notes and assist newbies like us.

Anyway, I will be heading for Baguio this weekend still utilizing the Navteq map as I really find it perplexing to process on how I can install RG map using mac, as there seems to be changes, do's & don'ts and several topics which truly confuses me in following the instruction. In the vernacular, 'nakakaleto at nakakahelo' po. Haaaay....

Comment

mblue,

My pleasure. Such expression of gratitude is likewise extended to Arvin, Rudi, hbt and the rest of RG Phils who truly take time to read notes and assist newbies like us.

Anyway, I will be heading for Baguio this weekend still utilizing the Navteq map as I really find it perplexing to process on how I can install RG map using mac, as there seems to be changes, do's & don'ts and several topics which truly confuses me in following the instruction. In the vernacular, 'nakakaleto at nakakahelo' po. Haaaay....
            join an EB and we'll help you out.
            dont delete the navteq map before though...
            How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Just got back from Baguio where I made full use of my 1360 utilizing the Navteq map. Though I did find my way around town, I can say with great exasperation that it really lacks the necessary update as some of the roads are missing.

It's really funny how you'll be traversing on a road but is not shown on the GPS. I just found myself turning off the voice prompt as it can only recalculate your direction indefinitely. It's a good thing that I have not lost my sense of direction as I did not rely entirely on the GPS.

Comment

Garmin nuvi 1360

This week I bought the 1360 unit from Blade in SM Mall of Asia, Manila. It is sold at Php11,399 but I got 5% discount for cash. I am new to motoring in the Philippines and I am hoping to use it to help me get out of Manila to Bicol where I live later this week. The car is in a workshop so I have not used the device properly yet.
                As soon as I got back to the hotel I plugged into the Garmin website to register the 1360 and to download any extra data that might be available. Now I have started using the unit in taxis to watch its performance. Have I inadvertently deleted stuff? The detail is very sparse and I cannot search for POI's or streets etc. I am hoping to download the software on this site to give me what I need. As it is right now, its probably not much use except for traveling the main arteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post
                  This week I bought the 1360 unit from Blade in SM Mall of Asia, Manila. It is sold at Php11,399 but I got 5% discount for cash. I am new to motoring in the Philippines and I am hoping to use it to help me get out of Manila to Bicol where I live later this week. The car is in a workshop so I have not used the device properly yet.
                  As soon as I got back to the hotel I plugged into the Garmin website to register the 1360 and to download any extra data that might be available. Now I have started using the unit in taxis to watch its performance. Have I inadvertently deleted stuff? The detail is very sparse and I cannot search for POI's or streets etc. I am hoping to download the software on this site to give me what I need. As it is right now, its probably not much use except for traveling the main arteries.

welcome to roadguide

best read this http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1526

our basic map will guide you in and out of metro manila and even to the province. contribute data to this site and get the more updated map

God Bless, good day
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Nvteq

Just got back from Baguio where I made full use of my 1360 utilizing the Navteq map. Though I did find my way around town, I can say with great exasperation that it really lacks the necessary update as some of the roads are missing.

It's really funny how you'll be traversing on a road but is not shown on the GPS. I just found myself turning off the voice prompt as it can only recalculate your direction indefinitely. It's a good thing that I have not lost my sense of direction as I did not rely entirely on the GPS.
                    Thanks for this piece of info. My sister is visiting from the US and she plans to bring along her Nuvi. She was wondering if the NAVTEQ map was worth purchasing at US$99, with 1-time update according to the Garmin web site. Told her that I wasn't sure about it but with your info, I can tell my sis to look up Roadguide instead. Thanks.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome "hbt".
                      I finally managed to download RoadGuide's basic map to my 1360 nonce I realised it was not one map of the Philippines but a composite of several maps which one has to select. Only then does the option to transfer "maps" to the device become live.
                      I am so pleased with the result. I have lots of detail to help me get out of Manila and home to Bicol. If this is the basic map what must the fuller version look like! I can't wait.
                      I notice my area of Bicol lacks data in many places and I hope I can be useful and learn how to add stuff for the benefit of all.
                      Thank you so much for this site, without which I feel I would have wasted Php11,000.

Comment

If this is the basic map what must the fuller version look like!
                        check for yourself:
                        http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=17
                        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

I notice my area of Bicol lacks data in many places and I hope I can be useful and learn how to add stuff for the benefit of all.
                          welcome to roadguide.
                          chk out first the demo version of our latest map as per jan's reply.
                          also be sure to look up our 'uragon' thread.:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

2 Questions:

1. anyone know how often the navteq map is updated? Supposedly, buyers will have free updates until 2012 (according to a Sulit seller). Thereafter, you will have to pay already.
                            2. Does the 1360 Philippine version work with the RG contributor's map? I don't want to be stuck with the Garmin-provided map and would like the option to be able to load the RG map once I'm able to get conributor's status.
                            Last edited by tonedeaf; 07-09-2011, 21:50.

Comment

On most countries, the CN NT maps are updated quarterly.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Anyone know the answer to my 2nd query? Does the 1360 work with RG v1.26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X