suggest gps for mtbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can vouch for the Edge 705

I have used an Edge 705 on my mountain bike for a while now. Very happy with it. Keeps going all day long - and I sometimes ride 12 hours logging all the time. You can't change batteries - need to charge through a USB port. Its rugged - dragged it over the handlebars with me a couple of times. It stays on real well with the handlebar clip - provided you have not broken the little catch. I did and keep forgetting to bring the replacemenst with me but its only an issue in catastrophic head over the handlebar situations (unfortunately I manage them from time to time) and as long as I don't break my glasses at the same time I usually easily find it!. One pain was that Mapsource would not read tracks direct from it - TCX file format I think. I upgraded to the latest Mapsource and that sorted that. It has a good display for the RG map and it is small enough to use whilst running. I have a 405 but occasionally want to have a map - so take the 705 easily.

Regards
    Dave
    Happiness is a blank screen with only the little pointer and a tail comimg out the back!

Comment

Very nice review Dave.

Best regards. Ride hard and stay safe...

Comment

directional ba ang garmin when we put it on bicycle mode? kasi when we are on cars diba it chages direction when we turn the car to a different path? i was thinking na if i just leave the garmin on and put it on the upper zipper of my backpack then i would still be able to hear where to go? i would ride sa trails btw.

Comment

Le stat, try to avoid "taglish" so that english speaking members will understand your question.

That is actually a good question and I found myself turning my GPSR around and around to simulate the scenarios.

My answer (and I would appreciate correction if I am wrong) is that as long as you put your GPSR in "route up" mode, not North Up mode, then it should still be able to properly route you no matter it's position in your back pack. Come to think of it I imagine even in North up mode it should still route properly.

I am not 100% sure if you will be able to hear it though, that is why when a friend (now an RG contri) asked me for advice on what to buy, I suggested one with bluetooth, so that he can pair it with a bluetooth headset to hear the GPS while biking.

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

afaik, GPSRs determines its direction based on heading. it won't matter whatever position the unit is on. the positioning of the unit can affect it's signal reception though.

as for the bluetooth thingy, better make sure that the unit supports bluetooth audio if you plan on using it with a BT audio device. not all bt capable GPSRs supports audio streaming.
            got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

thanks for the info. i would try this tommorrow during my trail ride. i hope that the battery wont die on me.

Comment

Very nice review Dave.

Best regards. Ride hard and stay safe...
                Last edited by doki; 01-06-2012, 05:20.

Comment

Garmin Edge 800

The Garmin Edge 800 GPS bicycle computer I think is the best for mountain biking. Rugged, water resistant (IPX7), touchscreen, 15hrs battery life in one charging. I've been using it for more than a year now and got some scratches on the touchscreen for a few crushes but still working good!

Comment

it's been more than a year since i last posted haha got busy on other things. everytime im set on buying a gps unit i end up upgrading my bike. but finally plunked down on an etrex20. cant wait to do more rides now

btw i tried changing the batteries on the etrex while on track, after putting on the new batteries, tracking continued!

i plan to do baguio-aurora this august, any suggested route?

Comment

etrex 10

i am getting an etrex 10 for my mountain bike and getting back to hiking/mountaineering

Comment

Working...
                      X