suggest gps for mtbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggest gps for mtbike

im currently using my e71 but am now looking for something more rugged and able to take on batteries for multi day rides. can anybody suggest some unit? must be less than php10k hehe i dont want to just crash and destroy something expensive

Hi, would like to ask how long does the E71 battery last if you had the GPS on all the time? on my i780 the battery drops quickly with the GPS on.

There is always a debate between having an all in one device and a dedicated device, and I am for having dedicated devices specially if using battery power, because of what you mentioned. I want my phone to have a charge even if my GPS runs out of power, or vice versa.

Now for what GPS unit you can get, your budget probably makes your choices very small. I was going to say get an Oregon handheld, but they might not be within your budget (please check coz I don't know how much they cost).

What you want probably are the waterproof ones for MTB.

On the other hand, you might want to look into buying some kind of a case that will protect any unit you buy from water or shock or both. Heck if you are good at homebrewing lock and lock type cases can be used to house GPS devices. There is also a thread about Bike mounts somewhere in the forum please check it out.

Lastly, if you want a double purpose unit, check out the Nuvi models, again please search in the forum for that, these can be used for biking, walking and of course in cars.

On the other hand, why not buy a 2nd or 3rd battery for the E71 and just buy a case for it to protect it

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

handheld gps would be fit for you, but quite expensive. it uses batteries AA battery & can either be the dispoasble AA or rechargeable AA. likewise, construction of handheld gps are rugged ,water resistant or to some extend waterproof.

you can choose from colorado, oregon, dakota series and the e trex.

Comment

to arvin555

Hi, actually the battery of the e71 with the gps on is pretty good. using sports tracker, longest workout time on a bike is 12hours 10min continuous. the route is from antipolo to alfonso tagaytay and back but the battery is near empty when i got home.

ive thought about getting extra batteries for my e71 but problem is i have to stop the workout when shutting down the phone and start again

wait are gps units the same too? for an example i have a multiday bike ride and i have to change batteries, can i still continue the track?

i was initially looking at the foretrex 401 but now am considering the dakota 20, any thoughts on the dakota?

Comment

Frankly speaking if you are getting 12 hours continues use on your E71, that is probably going to be better than a Nuvi or maybe even an Oregon. I am surprised that the battery consumption is so low, specially as the GPS as well as the cellphone part of the E71 is using up battery.

Unfortunately I don't think they will continuesly track if you need to change batteries, you still could merge 2 tracks anyways using mapsource if you like.

I'd still recommend having a spare battery just in case you need to make calls and your primary battery is running out.

I like devices that uses AA batteries coz then you can have rechargable batteries like the eneloop batteries to change whenever they need replacing, heck you can go to a sari sari store and buy AA batteries if necessary. But unfortunately the Nuvi series do not have this feature, but most of the hand held GPS I think does, and I as I said am a fan of those. Unfortunately I am stuck with a Nuvi unit myself, but for Car use that is okay as I have a Car charger. My Nuvi only will last me half a day (6 hours) of continues use, if I am lucky.

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
            Frankly speaking if you are getting 12 hours continues use on your E71, that is probably going to be better than a Nuvi or maybe even an Oregon. I am surprised that the battery consumption is so low, specially as the GPS as well as the cellphone part of the E71 is using up battery.
            i was actually surprised myself that the e71 can run up to that time. i just did a 10hour ride to lucena and the phone still had 2 battery bars left.

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post

Unfortunately I don't think they will continuesly track if you need to change batteries, you still could merge 2 tracks anyways using mapsource if you like.

I'd still recommend having a spare battery just in case you need to make calls and your primary battery is running out.

I like devices that uses AA batteries coz then you can have rechargable batteries like the eneloop batteries to change whenever they need replacing, heck you can go to a sari sari store and buy AA batteries if necessary. But unfortunately the Nuvi series do not have this feature, but most of the hand held GPS I think does, and I as I said am a fan of those. Unfortunately I am stuck with a Nuvi unit myself, but for Car use that is okay as I have a Car charger. My Nuvi only will last me half a day (6 hours) of continues use, if I am lucky.

TTFN
            Arvin
            that was also what i was thinking. units running on AA batteries are more practical especially when travelling in provinces where you can just buy the batteries instead of charging the unit

i saw one seller from sulit.com.ph selling a dakota for php17k + is that an ok price? or would you just recommend getting from the US?

Comment

get it in the US
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

i uses a colorado series mounted in my handlebar....and im happy with it...shock proof, water proof and has a good signal. http://flic.kr/p/8LyN8p
                i love to eat and drink..see you all at jayjs inasal

Comment

Originally posted by milesyoung View Post
                  actually the battery of the e71 with the gps on is pretty good. using sports tracker, longest workout time on a bike is 12hours 10min continuous.
                  seems like your gps usage is mostly for track logging. if that's the case, a cheaper option is to just get a gps logger. depending on the model or settings you choose, some of them can log for more than a day continuously. most units are small enough that you can put it in a pocket.
                  got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

looking for a gps for mountain bike too

i'm a newbie, and looking for a gps for mountain bike too. Can i use the Nuvi series of handhelds? what do you recommend TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
                      i'm a newbie, and looking for a gps for mountain bike too. Can i use the Nuvi series of handhelds? what do you recommend TIA.
                      depends on your riding discipline... if you are into cross country biking, a nuvi will do... IMO, hitting two birds with one stone, as you can use it also for in car navigation... I, for one gets to use my nuvi when doing cross country biking... but if you are into trails, i suggest going for a handheld.

just my 2 cents

Comment

thanks for all the replies, i'm inclined to get the dakota 20 since the size is small enough to bring on runs

Comment

garmin forerunner 305

Hi, just got into mountain biking and having a GPS help provides comfort that I will not be lost in the wild. I got a garmin forerunner 305, primarily for heart rate monitoring, speed and distance lagging but also for location tracking. I don't get the view of the map while riding but I can upload courses complete with waypoints and it helps me navigate thru the mountain tracks..I got my unit at amazon shipped to US address for $120 while the price here is P9k.

Comment

@ daishogun, interesting, i recently lost my heart rate monitor watch. so do forerunner 305 or 405 provide direction? how, it shows txt? in 200mts turn left? something like that? i know someone going home from the states i'll have it delivered to his addy. i use a 255w mounted on the handle bars but battery life is a real bummer.

i'll be going on a baguio-baguio ride on the 29th, estimated time would be 8-9 hours. the 255 will not be able to service me that long. best is maybe 4 hours or less. so i'll just bring it along in case i need to find directions.

Comment

you might want to check out garmin's edge 705. it's bike specific and with all the bells and whistles (heart rate, cadence, turn-by-turn directions using the RG map) http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-70...4354679&sr=8-2 . kinda expensive at $453 but there's a refurbished one for $299.99 http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bicycle...4354679&sr=8-1.

the forerunner 305/405 does not give directions as you can't load a map there. so it's basically for reviewing your workout data after doing your workout... hth

Comment

Working...
                              X