Nuvi 360 as marine GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 360 as marine GPS

hi, newbie here. can i use my nuvi 360 as a marine GPS? where can i download a map. tnx

as a marine GPS - hmm, don't know whether it can read the blue charts, g2 etc. however I would guess if you have a chart that was compiled the same way as the normal maps, say via cgpsmapper, i guess you could use it for marine navigation.
    where to download a map - AFAIK, there are no charts here, but maybe the sailing members would be able to help you out, just be patient until they chance upon your post. for the mean time you could probably google while waiting.

sorry, i know this wasn't of much help.
    ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

big tnx to u sir.

Comment

I am planning to contribute a lot of "nautical" waypoints in the near future, but surely not be able to give depth information. I wonder if the good member who contributed Phil. Contours can also help maybe with depths? Unless that countours map already has the depths already?

If you do use your GPSr on water, please try to put inside a waterproof case, no matter how Garmin says it's water proof, no harm in double protection.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

@arvin555 - if you're referring to the groundtruth map topo map dLable from here, nope, it only tackles terra firma. haven't seen any bathy yet around though.
          ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Yeah that was it B2, too bad.. yes and I think it is way harder or rarer to find Bathies even in other formats. Thing is that at least for marine use, you do not really need Vector charting meaning no need for routable function.

My Magelan Map 410 has the Philippine Marine Map NT, sheesh I forget what it is called already, but of course it is not Garmin compatible, best bet is blue charts by Garmin, but there is no free downloads for that. In my opinion though, it is worth the money. When I was in Malapascua, the resort owner was quite impressed when he saw that my GPS has nautical charts and that it actually almost mirrored his charts in that area, including the famous shaol/reef where the threshers are found, we went on a "dive safari" near Leyte and even the reefs and pinnacles we were diving in were already charted. So didn't even have to enter a waypoint on where I dived/dove in those areas.

Someone... among us should email Garmin if the bluecharts will work with our Nuvis I imagine it should though.

TTFN
            Arvin

Comment

I sent an email to Garmin, took them a few weeks but I got a reply. Nuvi models are not compatible with blue charts. What we can do is try to contribute some nautical information on our current map.

Comment

Just an update, Garmin FAQ did not say exactly that the Bluecharts is not compatible with nuvi units, it just says that there might be some limitations.

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODS...-000000000000}

TTFN
                Arvin
                Last edited by arvin555; 05-20-2011, 00:15.

Comment

Working...
                X