Avt gps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got an AVT pn 504

I got it 2 days ago at a very very low price. I decided to get an AVT thanks to this website among others. Im currently updating and will post updates of it's pros and cons. Thanks RG!

Comment

First 5 days review of my AVT pn504

When I decided to buy my first GPS Navigator my choice was bound by:

1)Price
      2)Must be local(as in I can bring it to a store or factory to be repaired)
      3)Must be close to my location for the purchase.
      4)2nd hand was ok but must be in fine condition.
      5)Obviously map of the PI and must be upgraded/upgradeable.
      6)The "You shoulda bought it from ebay it's only..." wasn't going to work for me.

My choices were CarNavi and AVT since they were local. Incredibly I saw an AVT pn504 from a local website the 1st day I browsed for P4000 I took a look at it and bought it on the spot.

A pleasant surprise was there was a brand new map released on March 2014 from the iNav website. It used to be free for 2 years then you'd have to pay for it. Happily now you can get it for free. Downloading from the site was a breeze. All I needed was a card reader(which I have), less than an hour and I was done and good.

The test drive: It was pretty easy to use, though the manual was a little to long winded. I learned more by doing so it was no problem. Even inside my house the satellite aquisition was a breeze. POI was a pleasant surprise(its packed) especially in Manila. It was especially nice on the highway as there is a split screen showing which lane Im supposed to go.

If I decided to deviate from the GPS it took from about 2 sec and at most 4 sec(I timed it as best I could) to plan a new route. Quick enough I thought. I noticed that the faster the car went the quicker it can plan a new route(dunno why?).

It tells me about camera locations, not that it matters to me.

The screen is nice and clear and really there's nothing I can complain about.

The WTF moment: Before I updated it had a late 2013 map. I exited the highway and needed to turn right(I knew where I was going but wanted to see how the thing worked). Instead of a straight right, it wanted me to turn left AND MAKE A U TURN, THEN GO STRAIGHT!?!? Anyway after the upgrade it didnt do it again. I've also passed the same way 4 times now and it hasnt done that again.

The cons:
      1)I can't save my routes! I never knew how important this function is until now.

2)It's not a contributors map.

Yes, yes Garmin fiends, I shoulda bought a Garmin. But really if I did I will never be able to contribute enough to be a contributor anyway so that point is moot. BTW, if you search hard enough there is a person out there who has a 2013 contributors map free to download by anyone. All you have to do is look hard enough.

Other stuff: Blade has Garmin for just over 4,000 now. They also got CarNavi which was one of my choices too.

All in all for the price and functions I am very happy. Thanks to RG again for giving me options!

Comment

Question: Why do you think it is important to save your "routes"? Did you mean track logs?

I mean don't get me wrong I'm a Garmin fan, and can do 1sec track logging and stuff. But just wondering what you meant by it?

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Working...
        X