No announcement yet.

Nuvi on a Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to try this out on my bike. The eTrex seems to be the safe choice.

nbc

Comment

If I may suggest, as I am planning on doing this for my Nuvii 1350 anyway.

Consider to purchase a hard case like Otterbox, S3 case or Pelican case, that will fit your unit. Then just turn on, put in the case and stick it in your backpack. Assuming that you are out to get tracks only, you will not be able to see your unit's display of course.

Actually you could buy clear lid models as well and figure out a way to mount it. Putting them in these cases makes them more weather proof... meaning slightly shock proof (if you padd it properly) and even dust and Water proof.

I plan to take my Nuvii unit along during sailing trips for example.

Oh and these cases are I understand are transparent to GPS signal. There is even a case for Bluetooth units that has a magnet you can stick on the roof of your car... as if I'd have the guts to do it myself.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Saan po ba nakakabili ng mga ito?

Comment

Originally posted by wilfy819 View Post
          Saan po ba nakakabili ng mga ito?
          I have seen some Pelican case at Digital Walker outlets but not the Otterbox (believe you can buy it online). Pelican cases are heavy duty case but its just a case (or a box).

Comment

Pelican cases, best bets are diveshops. Otterbox, online, from the states, though there are some otterbox cases that sometimes are sold here as well.
            Rox might still have some S3 cases.

JS is correct, they are basically hard cases, usually with foam, what it does is protect your unit from shock and dust/water while doing stuff like biking or mountain climbing. S3, Otterbox and Pelican can even be taken in dives... not that I'd bet my GPS unit in it while diving.

TTFN
            Arvin
            Last edited by arvin555; 09-12-2010, 23:34.

Comment

I've use Garmin eTrex Venture hanging around my neck while biking and it's worked well so far. I was thinking of putting it on my mountain bike but with all the shaking and banging around, i didnt think it would last very long. Hence, the "necklace" while I bike.

Comment

Can anyone advise where these bike mounts can be found locally? I'm planning to get one for my eTrex. I tried looking around to see if the cellphone holders will do (for the eTrex) but none of them fit well.

If anyone has a spare gooseneck as well (the ones where you attach your Cd player in the car), I would love to buy it from you (hopefully by now it is cheap).

Comment

Originally posted by kos View Post
                  Can anyone advise where these bike mounts can be found locally? I'm planning to get one for my eTrex. I tried looking around to see if the cellphone holders will do (for the eTrex) but none of them fit well.
                  Sorry this reply is a bit late, but does not seem anyone else has tried to answer your Question, so I will have a go:-

I found 'MotoWorld' show 'RAM Mounts' and RAM Aqua Box

RAM MEDIUM SQ. SIZE AQUA BOX
                  RAM

I expect it may be cheaper buying from Amazon.com and having them shipped over perhaps, as MotorWorld tends to be higher priced that USA.

I personally bought a Garmin Nuvi 255 (refurbished. but with full 1 year Garmin Warranty and Map upgrade) from Amazon.com for US$55, Also Handlbar-mounted Water-resistant Case, that protects it from the rain, dust, and bumps and vibrations somewhat as it held in place with foam rubber packing inside the case, as it narrower and lot thinner than the case is deep. Newer versions of the case come with battery pack holders in the lower half.

I went with Solar Charger having 2000mAH battery inside, and use this mounted on top of a Visor that I added, to shade the screen from the glare of the sun (which tops up the battery as it shines on the visor now)

I recently posted to this Thread - Power packs for your garmin

See also thee other threads I posted, which you may find useful:-

What 'Nuvi' is best Value for Money' to use on a Motorcycle?

Motorcycle Mounted GPS

Waterproofing your Nuvi

Comment

Working...
                  X