This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinoypaparazzi View Post
    how do you change the Voice to something else. im not talking about the espanyol, svensk, finnish, etc, but im interested in like darth vader (geek. lol), al pacino (not sure if there's one), and others.
    Been trying to upload Borat's voice that i found in the net but can't seem to attach the zip file. Will try to look for the link so you can download it yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by rgcabredo View Post
      I've been using Garmin XT v5.00.40 on my Nokia 5800 for about a month now. It will drain the battery in 3 to 4 hours if the LCD is on all the time. I plug the phone to a car charger on long drives.

Recently I came from a road trip around Bicol. On my return trip from Legazpi City, Albay to San Pablo City, Laguna , I kept the unit on for 10 hours. On normal track log it filled about 36% track log memory. At the end of the day, I was going to review my tracks and POIs. I was dumbfounded to discover that Garmin XT had re-set itself. All my tracks and POIs for the week were gone.... bummer. I tried the import function and it loaded data I had saved 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know why the program would do an auto reset? would the existence of a GarminXT.sis file on the memory card somehow prompt a reset or re-install? I did notice that there were more functions available on Garmin Online page. I suspect that my original v5.00.30 installation had somehow not been updated properly to v5.00.40.

Lesson: Export data ASAP - backs up your data without a PC around.
      I think when your phone was turned-off (like when the battery's drained), and with the XT sis file still in your MC, you inadvertently re-installed xt. It always prompts you to install after re-starting your phone and you might have re-installed it, thereby deleting your existing data. Best to delete all sis files after installation and better to export data ASAP and copy to PC.

Comment

Originally posted by pong
        btw, i also plotted some of the big gas stations along the halsema
        highway from sagada to baguio. ill upload it as soon as i find
        the piece of paper where i placed the coordinates

(i still dont know how to put waypoints in my map on my phone)
        ill learn it
        This is what you need to do in XT to record waypoints:

1. Run XT, make sure that it gets a satellite lock and shows your actual location in the map. Best to use it without making a route (not using "where to" function), but just to show where you are on the move.

2. Go to "tools/browse map". Notice that on the lower left corner of the screen there's a "save" option. If you click save, it will mark a waypoint on that area where the point of the cursor is and not where the vehicle icon is. That's why you can move the cursor to approximate the actual location of the waypoint for a more accurate marking (i.e you're in the middle of the road caught in traffic and you see a POI not yet on the map, you can move the cursor from where you are in the map (the vehicle icon) to the approx. location of the POI in the map). The default waypoint name is Location x (starts with Location, Location 01 and so on) and it is saved in "My Locations". Take note of the names XT gives your marked waypoints.

3. Go to "tools/manage my data/my locations". You will see your marked POI's here with their default names. Click on the a name (say Location 01) and you will be presented with options to "change name, location, and symbol". Do the necessary editing if you have time. If not, get pen and paper (better a small notebook para hindi madali ma-misplace) and write down the labels for the waypoints just marked corresponding to the default location names asap so you don't forget the label name. You can do the editing in Mapsource this way.

4. Go back to "tools/manage my data" then highlight "My Locations" (do not click). Notice on the lower left corner of the screen there's a "Manage" option. Click that then you'll see the "GPX Manage" option where you can "Import GPX" or "Export GPX". eGo to "tools/manage my data/my locations". Export GPX saves your data to the current.gpx file in your MC's GPX subfolder. This is the file that you extract and open in Mapsource.

Hope this will fastrack your learning...

Comment

Recording Waypoints in XT

Might as well post this tip here too para madaling makita: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....3&postcount=19

This is what you need to do in XT to record waypoints:

1. Run XT, make sure that it gets a satellite lock and shows your actual location in the map. Best to use it without making a route (not using "where to" function), but just to show where you are on the move.

2. Go to "tools/browse map". Notice that on the lower left corner of the screen there's a "save" option. If you click save, it will mark a waypoint on that area where the point of the cursor is and not where the vehicle icon is. That's why you can move the cursor to approximate the actual location of the waypoint for a more accurate marking (i.e you're in the middle of the road caught in traffic and you see a POI not yet on the map, you can move the cursor from where you are in the map (the vehicle icon) to the approx. location of the POI in the map). The default waypoint name is Location x (starts with Location, Location 01 and so on) and it is saved in "My Locations". Take note of the names XT gives your marked waypoints.

3. Go to "tools/manage my data/my locations". You will see your marked POI's here with their default names. Click on the a name (say Location 01) and you will be presented with options to "change name, location, and symbol". Do the necessary editing if you have time. If not, get pen and paper (better a small notebook para hindi madali ma-misplace) and write down the labels for the waypoints just marked corresponding to the default location names asap so you don't forget the label name. You can do the editing in Mapsource this way.

4. Go back to "tools/manage my data" then highlight "My Locations" (do not click). Notice on the lower left corner of the screen there's a "Manage" option. Click that then you'll see the "GPX Manage" option where you can "Import GPX" or "Export GPX". eGo to "tools/manage my data/my locations". Export GPX saves your data to the current.gpx file in your MC's GPX subfolder. This is the file that you extract and open in Mapsource.

Comment

how to download POI using N5800 Garmin Xt

paano ho ba magdownload ng POI using Garmin XT di ko kasi makita ung custom POI ko..
            thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by meowlife View Post
              paano ho ba magdownload ng POI using Garmin XT di ko kasi makita ung custom POI ko..
              thanks.
              POI or points of interest is another term for the waypoints that you mark that can be also your "custom POI". Your question's answered here...

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
              Or you can use Mapsource's POI loader....

Comment

Originally posted by pinoypaparazzi View Post
                how do you change the Voice to something else. im not talking about the espanyol, svensk, finnish, etc, but im interested in like darth vader (geek. lol), al pacino (not sure if there's one), and others.
                There is a download page in Garmin website for Voices like Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Holloween voice etc. but they are only compatible with stand alone garmin units and not for Mobile XT. I tried it myself, downloaded the voices and load it in my XT but when I select voice, it doesn't show up.
                Anyway it is already written on the download page, I just failed to read it first before downloading.
                However, the car icon works, now I have skeleton hand, red, yellow,blue and black cars, a hover jet and a xmas tree, a truck and lots more as car icon.

Comment

Web page for Voices and All vehicles icon for Garmin

here is the webpage for car icons

http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/bund...lvehicles.html

Comment

Originally posted by johnny2467 View Post
                    There is a download page in Garmin website for Voices like Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Holloween voice etc. but they are only compatible with stand alone garmin units and not for Mobile XT. I tried it myself, downloaded the voices and load it in my XT but when I select voice, it doesn't show up.
                    Anyway it is already written on the download page, I just failed to read it first before downloading.
                    However, the car icon works, now I have skeleton hand, red, yellow,blue and black cars, a hover jet and a xmas tree, a truck and lots more as car icon.
                    If the file extensions are compatible with those of XT voices, try changing the file name of those voices to a name recognized by XT in the Garmin/voice folder. Say change the Al Pacino voice filename to Francais Canadien... might work...

Comment

Haven't thought about that, I will give it a go.

Comment

Tried it, and nothing happened no sound coming out when navigating

Comment

I've tried it with Borat's voice and it works, still the voice i'm using now in my E71. But i haven't tried it yet with the voices downloadable from Garmin's...

Comment

I am not sure if there is a topic about this already but here goes.. some questions on garming xt.

I've been using GMXT and it has been great. Problem began when I changed SD card. I didn't know that Unit ID changes with the SD card. The problem is, I already asked TheJudge a key for the GMXT I am (temporarily) using. It is good until, I changed to a bigger SD card. Now I have a different Unit ID hence the key no longer works. Is this really the case, different ID for with each SD card. I could ask for TheJudge for another key but that would be inconvenient (for him). Also, what if my SD card has gracefully reached its end of life.. have to get another key? this is just so bad... or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jetro View Post
                              I am not sure if there is a topic about this already but here goes.. some questions on garming xt.

I've been using GMXT and it has been great. Problem began when I changed SD card. I didn't know that Unit ID changes with the SD card. The problem is, I already asked TheJudge a key for the GMXT I am (temporarily) using. It is good until, I changed to a bigger SD card. Now I have a different Unit ID hence the key no longer works. Is this really the case, different ID for with each SD card. I could ask for TheJudge for another key but that would be inconvenient (for him). Also, what if my SD card has gracefully reached its end of life.. have to get another key? this is just so bad... or am I doing something wrong?
                              hmm i dont thnk this is the problem. i kinda remember switching micro sd's on my omnia and nothing changed really...
                              what i did was i backed up my files and restored them in my new sd.
                              what you did was probably uninstall the program and reinstall it which could generate a new ID.

Comment

Thanks for the reply travelbug. yes, that is what I did, I uninstalled the gmxt and reinstalled again on the new card. My thinking is that the unit id is generated according to IMEI number, I guess I was wrong. But one thing to note is that the omnia's OS is windows mobile, I installed gmxt on an e90, symbian s60 3rd edition.

Anyone here changed sd cards on a symbian s60 (e71 etc)? I wan't to exhaust all means to get my old unit id before bugging Thejudge with another lock code. kakahiya na e.

Comment

Working...
                                X