Using NRoute in your laptop for navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using NRoute in your laptop for navigation

Anyone tried using NRoute for navigation? Using NRoute, I paired my laptop with my 60CSx and it's nice to make a route and see where you're going in a big screen, with voice prompts telling you when to make a turn .

NRoute uses the mapsets you have in Mapsource. It's UI is very similar to Mapsource as well. Any handheld GPS, as long as it can be read by Mapsource in your laptop, can be used in NRoute. You can also record tracks at every 1 sec if you set it as such. Only drawback is you need to have someone hold your laptop when navigating and there might be some issues with regards to how long you can use your laptop without draining the battery...

More info about NRoute here...http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/nroute/nroute.html

mods, please delete the link if it's not appropriate... tia

just downloaded and installed a copy for my mac (windows on vmware). i noticed it doesn't have tts? other than that it is pretty cool to have a large screen and loud announcements for navigation

edit: simulation was really nice until i found out it doesnt work with nuvis. shame :|
    Last edited by antonboq; 02-26-2009, 23:50.

Comment

nroute

hi guys,
      i notice that they(garmin) have close the download site of nroute.
      where can i download the nroute?
      is there anybody who can share their nroute software

thanks
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

great idea borgie.. i will try to pair my 60csx with my laptop and see.. i have just finished installing nroute.. actually i am planning to get a new gps with voice prompt as the 60csx only has this "beep" notifications..
        i have a ipaq6515 with destinator pn but got fed up as i cannot configure the internet in the philippines thus no update for a-gps..
        for me stand-alone garmin is still the best..

Comment

mapsource and nroute

hi guys,

do u need the mapsource to run the n route?

thanks
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
            hi guys,

thanks
            nope mapsource not needed. (i think)
            How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

re: nroute

hi jan, i think you need it cozwithout the mapsource, i try to run it, the nroute wont open. after i install the mapsource the my eeepc, i opens and now its ok.
              btw.... how do u change the time? my daytime and night time is mix up.

thanks. nice to meet you on eb btw
              - Bruce Lee

Comment

hi jan, i think you need it cozwithout the mapsource, i try to run it, the nroute wont open. after i install the mapsource the my eeepc, i opens and now its ok.
                btw.... how do u change the time? my daytime and night time is mix up.

thanks. nice to meet you on eb btw
                I stand corrected then...
                How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

time

hi,

how do u change the time?
                  i've ben tinkering with the preference but i cant get it. day time and night time's mix up

- Bruce Lee

Comment

hi,

how do u change the time?
                    i've ben tinkering with the preference but i cant get it. day time and night time's mix up

click utilities then set pc time im not sure if this is correct tho

Comment

Trying out nRoute with my trusty old eTrex Venture... pretty good.

About the time, the clock in nRoute should be automatically corrected whenever the GPS locks on to the satellites. You then have the option of correcting the PC clock to acquire the GPS time. Worked for me.
                      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Nroute uses the mapsets installed in Mapsource. Therefore, no Mapsource = no maps for Nroute.

Comment

This program is so begging me to work on a carputer project. If only I have the time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                            Trying out nRoute with my trusty old eTrex Venture... pretty good.

About the time, the clock in nRoute should be automatically corrected whenever the GPS locks on to the satellites. You then have the option of correcting the PC clock to acquire the GPS time. Worked for me.
                            Are you using the USB to RS232 cable too? What brand and where bought? I've had no such luck with my RS232 cable. Connection between laptop and my old Etrex Vista is an hit & miss thing, and more often than not the laptop crashes showing a blue screen with some text you don't even get to read before it shuts down.

Btw, you can use NRoute for tracking and set tracklogs at 1 sec.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                              Are you using the USB to RS232 cable too? What brand and where bought? I've had no such luck with my RS232 cable. Connection between laptop and my old Etrex Vista is an hit & miss thing, and more often than not the laptop crashes showing a blue screen with some text you don't even get to read before it shuts down.

Btw, you can use NRoute for tracking and set tracklogs at 1 sec.
                              Thankfully, my laptop belonged to a generation before the manufacturers decided to shave off the serial port. As far as GPS<->Laptop communications are concerned, mine works everytime. The laptop I use it on is a Dell D510 and the older Dell C610.

I agree, the 1sec track log interval is a welcome feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X