Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Inner Luzon Loop

Mt.Province - Kalinga - Abra - Ilocos Sur

With much eagerness from the Coast to Mountains ride, my amigos and I set off to yet another epic offroad ride, one that I might not do again in the near future (or til my sore butt heals).

Taking off from Baguio, our 1st night is spent in idyllic Sagada, our homebase for many of our rides. On the second day, we ride over 160kms of dirt roads that take us through the towns of Bontoc, Tinglayan and Lubuagan in the Mt. Province. Exhaustion setting in, we enter the Province of Kalinga in the afternoon and reach the remote town of Balbalan, where we stay the night in the community of Balbalasan. The hundred year old guest house of the Episcopal Christian Women is a time capsule of sorts, made of pine wood from its floors, walls and even ceiling. Dinner is prepared for us at the St. Paul's School. No mobile phone coverage in this place. Nice!

Click on photo to see it on a map

Third day we leave the kind people of Balbalasan (yes I will return with the wine and the danggits) and head to Abra. The road is as harsh as we started, with lots of uphill climbs and rocks jutting out of the trail. The soil is so dry that it has turned powdery, which makes the dirtbikes dance like drunken ducks. We reach Abra and have lunch of Bangued longganizas (superb!) and then stay the night at Pamora Farm, where French chickens grow organically and in a free range setting. While resting we were treated to their famous pate on whole wheat bread and aromatic french coffee. Yes, during dinner we had fried chicken mairnated in herbs, and lettuce and tomates, freshly picked from their own organic garden.

Well rested, the fourth day was as we expected.... tough. The Abra river crsisscrosses over the province and we had to cross it many times, both on our bikes' own power and by modified bancas with platforms.

In one river that we crossed, I took the wrong line and ended up swimming and drowning my bike. Felt good though as the heat was beating down on us and the water was cool. After reviving the WR450F, we head off again towards the town of Tubo.

...continued...
    Last edited by Beerboy; 03-09-2010, 06:46.

After crossing another river before Tubo, we decide to take a break and swim! The locals sure had an entertaining time, so much so that the local policeman came over to see if we needed help. He wanted us to visit the mayor so that we can have lunch with them. We politely refused as we didn't want to impose. Instead he brought us to the fuel store (fuel sold in bottles) and we have lunch of hard boiled eggs and locally bake breads and pastries.

After lunch we bade our hosts farewell and head towards Quirino in Ilocos Sur. The trails turn just as nasty, and we have to traverse dry river beds as well. We try and avoid the paved roads and eventually reach Cervantes, where the bridge has been out for years, and yes we had to cross another river.

Bypassing Bauko in Mt. Province, we head towards Tadian in the early evening. Our buddy Sid feels the impact of a multi day offroad ride, suffers chest pains and decides that he cannot continue. Tony rides ahead to get my pickup from Sagada and brings Sid and his bike back. Nonie and I, thru the kindness of Santi the bus driver, stay the night in Santi's bus. A humbling experience I tell you, something that one has to experience in his lifetime. Nonie and I head back to Sagada the next day after having coffee with Santi and his boys.

Again, I am so lucky and privileged to see our country the way that most Filipinos will not. Meeting fellow countrymen who welcome us and offer their homes and meager resources to us, meeting Filipinos who are proud to be who they are.

Ganda ng Pilipinas.

Click Here to See More Photos
    Last edited by Beerboy; 03-09-2010, 06:49.

Comment

Wow!!! Another epic ride ! And ang ganda ng Pilipinas talaga . Thanks once again for sharing...

Comment

Beerboy That was definitely for the books. Surely it was an epic ride. More pics of the places and the food please.

Comment

Wow! as in wow...what more can I say....you did it again kuya beerboy!
          Thank you for sharing!
          And thank you also coz youre a Roadguider....we are proud of you!
          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Another epic adventure!! Great photos and narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyU View Post
              Beerboy That was definitely for the books. Surely it was an epic ride. More pics of the places and the food please.
              Food? My specialty.

For only P90, mountain rice with egg, chop suey, liempo, chicken and soup. Bottomless highland coffee and mountain tea. Guerilla Diner, Atok, Benguet. I have a big appetite but had a hard time finishing this.

Chicken Pate on whole wheat with french coffee. Pamora Farm, Abra

Free range, organic french chicken with freshly picked lettuce and tomatoes (from their own garden). Pamora Farm, Abra.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
                Just in case you might want to do the same route (just as long as it's not raining), attached are my tracks and waypoints.
                An epic ride that not only verifies unverified roads but records new tracks as well in the boondocks! Awesome ride!

Comment

Just in case you might want to do the same route (just as long as it's not raining), attached are my tracks and waypoints.
                  Great Tracks!! Thanks for sharing.

Few questions.
                  Is that your only luggage at the back of your bike?
                  What are the tools you bring in this kind of trip?

For flat tires, is the WR using tubed or tubeless tires?
                  What are the emergency patch kits that you are using?
                  Where Can I buy them?

Lastly, any advice? =)

I guess I lied when I said that I only have a few questions. he he he...

I myself is planning a trip this Holy Week. I am just preparing myself and the bike. And also waiting for the plate number =)

Again, thanks! You are indeed an inspiration.

Comment

looking at those food makes me hungry.

its your fault that i gain weight teng. hahahaha j/k

as usual, great pics, wish i have your time.

thanks for sharing teng
                    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                      An epic ride that not only verifies unverified roads but records new tracks as well in the boondocks! Awesome ride!
                      But when rainy season arrives, some of those trails might be impassable. If you view it on GoogleEarth, you can see the rivers we had to traverse and ride on as well (the dry ones).

Comment

Originally posted by ravewave View Post
                        Great Tracks!! Thanks for sharing.

Few questions.
                        Is that your only luggage at the back of your bike?
                        What are the tools you bring in this kind of trip?

For flat tires, is the WR using tubed or tubeless tires?
                        What are the emergency patch kits that you are using?
                        Where Can I buy them?

Lastly, any advice? =)

I guess I lied when I said that I only have a few questions. he he he...

I myself is planning a trip this Holy Week. I am just preparing myself and the bike. And also waiting for the plate number =)

Again, thanks! You are indeed an inspiration.
                        Thanks ravewave.

Aside from the bag on my cargo bag, I have a backpack with a hydration pack, toiletries, first aid kit and some food. The bag on the bike has my clothes, pair of slippers and tools. You have to travel light when doing offroad, basically a shirt/underwear a day. Sleeping clothes (short/shirt) can last a few days. A warm (but thin) sweater helps as well. You wear the same riding pants/upper garment everyday (ewwww...). Dri-fit shirts are cool as you can wash and drip dry them. You can even wear them wet in the morning and it'll be dry in a few minutes.

The WR has inner tubes. I bring spare inner tubes strapped to the front fender. I bring basic tools that will allow me to remove the wheels and tires, change the tubes, spark plug, etc. Standard wrenches, screw drivers, small vise grips, super glue, duct tape, cable ties, tire irons (for removing the tire from the wheel). I also bring an electric air pump. Flashlight pa pala and extra batteries. If you have a 12v charger for your phone, the better. A multi-tool on you is mighty helpful.

My first aid kit consists of wound dressings, betadine, alcohol, medicine (colds, anti-diarrhea, anti-spasm, etc), bandages, burn ointment and lots of pain killers. Hehe. I bring some crackers and candy bars as well (no fancy energy bars please).

Some of my advise:

When you're tired, stop. You have nothing to prove.

Keep it cool on the road (or offroad).

Respect the locals. Wave, smile once in a while.

When riding through populated areas, do not rev your engine loudly.

Stop at checkpoints.

Do not bring fancy military/police calling cards. Your license alone is ok.

Make an "In Case of Emergency" Card. With your name, age, blood type, medicines, allergy and contact persons.

oh and most importantly...

Enjoy the ride.

Comment

But when rainy season arrives, some of those trails might be impassable. If you view it on GoogleEarth, you can see the rivers we had to traverse and ride on as well (the dry ones).
                          ...maybe for big bikes, but wet trails might be awesome still for MTB's, ride and hike-a-bike . Saying to traverse a river with a big bike sounds easy, but doing so is another matter entirely. I salute you guys for your skill and endurance crossing multiple rivers, and wrestling with those big bikes .

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                            ...maybe for big bikes, but wet trails might be awesome still for MTB's, ride and hike-a-bike . Saying to traverse a river with a big bike sounds easy, but doing so is another matter entirely. I salute you guys for your skill and endurance crossing multiple rivers, and wrestling with those big bikes .
                            Borgie, in one area we passed (after the river where my bike drowned), an old man picking camachile fruits(?) said that during the rainy season the place where we were resting on is submerged entirely. Wow! Btw, even though my bike is a 450cc, it is just as light and narrow as a 250cc. In fact it's lighter than the Honda XR200. Hehe, plus when I'm riding it it looks like a 125cc.

Comment

Hi Teng,Great pictures /adventure. Is the Pamora farm available for visitors/tourist which I can take my family for this forthcoming holy week or only for private guest? I checked their website but seems not mentioned. Need accomodation for 1 night etc. Coming from Vigan, place seems not far and very near the highway only.

Comment

Working...
                              X