my scooter now installed with Nuvi 760. Ready to hit the back roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my scooter now installed with Nuvi 760. Ready to hit the back roads

Inspired by sir Beerboy, I have gotten hold of myself a scooter (for now) and installed a Nuvi 760 + an external power supply. I am excited to do a road trip this coming Holy Week. First stop maybe around Mindoro Island since most of the roads are un mapped.

The unit looks very exposed though and is prone to "hablot" (snatch). So i am thinking to put the unit first in its compartment while in the metro, then once im out of the city, thats the time i could put it in its craddle.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ravewave; 09-14-2012, 05:11.

nice placement ravewave

but you may want to tie it to your side view mirror, just in case the suction doesn't hold

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyU View Post
      nice placement ravewave

but you may want to tie it to your side view mirror, just in case the suction doesn't hold
      You are actually right, Joey. I was thinking of putting some kinda leash and tie to the side mirror just in case.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Good for you ravewave! Oh my, I'm touched.

Don't forget the zip-loc bags, mighty handy when protecting electronics during rainy rides. Also duct tape and cable ties, best inventions yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
          Don't forget the zip-loc bags, mighty handy when protecting electronics during rainy rides. Also duct tape and cable ties, best inventions yet.
          Kuya Jan did mention that a condom is a good substitute for rain proofing PNDs. Now where did i read that post...

Comment

Originally posted by ravewave View Post
            The unit looks very exposed though and is prone to "hablot" (snatch). So i am thinking to put the unit first in its compartment while in the metro, then once im out of the city, thats the time i could put it in its craddle.
            Hi ravewave,

You can design two things to make your gps anti-snatch;

1. Design a transparent box where you can lock your gps inside or
            2. Design a steel frame wrap around tethered with a small wire rope to the handle bar.

Just my suggestion.
            See FAQ for Newbies below
            Click Here

Comment

nice.
              we will be expecting those 1-sec tracks from your 760.
              FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadguide2000 View Post
                Hi ravewave,

You can design two things to make your gps anti-snatch;

1. Design a transparent box where you can lock your gps inside or
                2. Design a steel frame wrap around tethered with a small wire rope to the handle bar.

Just my suggestion.
                Or get something like an Otterbox (touchscreen can still be accessed):

http://www.otterbox.com/pda-cases

Yes it's waterproof....

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I really appreciate it.

@Beerboy - definitely!! duct tape, cable ties and zip locks are best inventions ever!!
                  will take note of that. right now, i am still in the process of enhancing my riding skills (sudden stops, banking, balancing with loads at the back.. etc..).

@Borgie - Actually i have tried waterproofing my Nokia 5110 with a condom back in college. all you have to do is wipe off the lube and once its lube free you can put in the unit and tie the end of the condom.hassle when it gets really dry though. the outside of the condom becomes really sticky to dusk making the screen very hard to see.

@RoadGuide2000 - Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately though I do not have the materials and tools to fabricate such enclosures. What I am planning though, while in the city is to put the unit and its dock between my legs just above the scoot's flooring (where those safety stickers are located) then once in the province, I can put it back to the top of the speedometer.

@Reiji - will definitely upload the 1sec track. I can see that there aint any roads yet beyond White Beach Puerto Galera going to Abra de Ilog. Also lots of unknowns and unverified roads up to San Jose.

Need your help about something. Since my bike is sub 400cc, I am not allowed in SLEX and STAR toll. This would be my first time passing thru the Service Rd. and National Rd. I have plotted a route in Mapsource using the Contributors map and here is what I have come up with. Is this the most efficient way? If its not, can you please share your suggestions.

Also, I am a bit worried that this thread has somewhat turned into a motorcycle discussion rather than its original purpose of a picture thread. Admin, if I am in violation of thread relevance please let me know and feel free to move the thread to its appropriate place.

Thanks again!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ravewave; 02-18-2010, 13:49.

Comment

Need your help about something. Since my bike is sub 400cc, I am not allowed in SLEX and STAR toll. This would be my first time passing thru the Service Rd. and National Rd. I have plotted a route in Mapsource using the Contributors map and here is what I have come up with. Is this the most efficient way? If its not, can you please share your suggestions.
                    Take the provincial highway from Lipa to Batangas City. Safer and faster route.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I really appreciate it.

@Beerboy - definitely!! duct tape, cable ties and zip locks are best inventions ever!!
                      will take note of that. right now, i am still in the process of enhancing my riding skills (sudden stops, banking, balancing with loads at the back.. etc..).

@Borgie - Actually i have tried waterproofing my Nokia 5110 with a condom back in college. all you have to do is wipe off the lube and once its lube free you can put in the unit and tie the end of the condom.hassle when it gets really dry though. the outside of the condom becomes really sticky to dusk making the screen very hard to see.

@RoadGuide2000 - Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately though I do not have the materials and tools to fabricate such enclosures. What I am planning though, while in the city is to put the unit and its dock between my legs just above the scoot's flooring (where those safety stickers are located) then once in the province, I can put it back to the top of the speedometer.

@Reiji - will definitely upload the 1sec track. I can see that there aint any roads yet beyond White Beach Puerto Galera going to Abra de Ilog. Also lots of unknowns and unverified roads up to San Jose.

Also, I am a bit worried that this thread has somewhat turned into a motorcycle discussion rather than its original purpose of a picture thread. Admin, if I am in violation of thread relevance please let me know and feel free to move the thread to its appropriate place.

Thanks again!
                      bikes are never in violation....

as for the other issue...

TURN ON AVOID TOLL ROADS

and your routing will avoid nlex/slex/star/skyway/sctex
                      How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
                        Take the provincial highway from Lipa to Batangas City. Safer and faster route.
                        Thanks for reviewing and the suggestion, pokz.

Comment

there is possible you might pass thru very rough road, holes or humps. You have to properly secure your GPS. maybe some test run should be in order. have a good vacation.
                          Nation's Laws are a reflection of national character

Comment

Thanks for reviewing and the suggestion, pokz.
                            do not forget to switch on "avoid tollroads" . that way the routing will avoid them and you should be ok... if you really feel adventurous, switch on "shortest way".... and do give feedback bout any problems you ran in..
                            How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by tomgotan View Post
                              there is possible you might pass thru very rough road, holes or humps. You have to properly secure your GPS. maybe some test run should be in order. have a goibratiood vacation.
                              can nuvi 760 withstand those bumps and vibrations.

Comment

Working...
                              X