This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
    Yup that's normal. Data saved to MC is in GPX format and can't be read/accessed by the GPS or by Mapsource directly. Must be downloaded with GPS in USB mode and copied to PC before it can be opened in Mapsource and returned back to the GPS as a track if so desired...
    Thanks for the clarification, will keep this in mind when I track for long period of time and the tracks in the internal memory gets erased already.

Comment

Difference between "Track up" and "North up"

In the "Map Set-up - General Page" window, there's that option to change the map orientation to "Track up" or "North up" and another option "Below __ km". If you plan on using the GPS for navigation, the best option is to set it to "Track up". That way, you always see the roads ahead correctly oriented, much like a Nuvi's view, but only in 2D. You then use the option "Below __ km" to set the zoom level that the map will be displayed in the "Track up" mode. I set mine at 1.2km, meaning that if I zoom out to more than 1.2km, the view reverts back to the default "North up". Why? Because at zoom level 1.2km, I don't see much road detail already in the GPS screen and I can orient myself better at higher zoom out levels with the map is oriented to the north. But when i used the 60CSx in an airplane, I changed it to 80km so that I can see better the places below the plane .

Another setting in this page that's very important is the "Lock on road" setting. This must be set to "Off", otherwise, your map pointer will always lock your position to the nearest road on the map, and not on where you are (your GPS location).

Comment

How to switch off lock-on road setting

VERY IMPORTANT: For those with handheld GPS like the 60CSx, Colorado, Oregon, Etrex and others, please make sure that you have switched off lock-on road setting so that when you record 1 second tracks, it will record the real tracks and not stick to the existing road in the Roadguide map.
        Tracks recorded with the lock-on road setting "on" is generally useless as far as updating the Roadguide map is concerned.

To change the settings in the 60CSx, go to the Map Page, then click the MENU button, then Setup Map, Map Setup - General, then "Lock On Road" change to "OFF" if it's set to "on".

Comment

thanks!

thanks!

Comment

Which track is better?

See comparison of 60 csx vs Nuvi 760, both 1 sec log, 60 csx using 5.17 version map during logging. It appears 60 csx has less track points than Nuvi from point A to B. accuracy for both units around 4 to 8 meters.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
              See comparison of 60 csx vs Nuvi 760, both 1 sec log, 60 csx using 5.17 version map during logging. It appears 60 csx has less track points than Nuvi from point A to B. accuracy for both units around 4 to 8 meters.
              kuya b,
              whats the verdict here? is nuvi easter egg better?
              FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                kuya b,
                whats the verdict here? is nuvi easter egg better?
                Haven't experienced the easter tracking thingy, no nuvi to play around with... . But it does look like the easter egg tracks better. Were the two units placed side by side (for same vantage in acquiring the sats)? This is interesting...

Comment

Haven't experienced the easter tracking thingy, no nuvi to play around with... . But it does look like the easter egg tracks better. Were the two units placed side by side (for same vantage in acquiring the sats)? This is interesting...
                  ok kuya. ill compare also once i get my 60csx. its on the way na hopefully i would get it next week.
                  anyway bottom line is leg time should be 0:01 for entire track.

Comment

ok kuya. ill compare also once i get my 60csx. its on the way na hopefully i would get it next week.
                    anyway bottom line is leg time should be 0:01 for entire track.
                    Yup, for 1 sec tracking, time diff. between dots should be 1 sec. I thought you already had your 60CSx... you must be getting really excited now like a child waiting for his new toy

Comment

Yup, for 1 sec tracking, time diff. between dots should be 1 sec. I thought you already had your 60CSx... you must be getting really excited now like a child waiting for his new toy
                      yes kuya super excited na....and its really a must to have 2 units, one for navigation and the other with wifey to record wps.

Comment

yes kuya super excited na....and its really a must to have 2 units, one for navigation and the other with wifey to record wps.
                        ahhh... so you'll always be bringing the 60CSx with you so wifey will be able to download your tracks later and know where you've been too at any given time, hehe j/k

Comment

ahhh... so you'll always be bringing the 60CSx with you so wifey will be able to download your tracks later and know where you've been too at any given time, hehe j/k

OT: ehem... thats the problem with good looking people
                          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Wifey that logs points?

with wifey to record wps.
                            That would be great - where do you get them?
                            hehe
                            Happiness is a blank screen with only the little pointer and a tail comimg out the back!

Comment

This thread have been very helpful, thanks a lot guys. Familiarizing myself first on the buttons, functions, etc. before I go on a tracking and marking poi/waypoint spree.

But could you guys, give some suggested settings for the gpsmap 60csx to be used/preferred for uniformity in our joint project. I know it will depend on each user which they prefer and can be changed in the gps receiver, but for using the mapmaking softwares, etc. For example, for distance, some prefer the english system, but the metric system is much more accurate and easier to use for me. Instead of yardstick, I prefer a meter stick for use in my work in the field. Reason for asking is for accuracy/resolution on replacing old/inaccurate roads from the demo map.

Comment

Originally posted by luciferlove View Post
                                This thread have been very helpful, thanks a lot guys. Familiarizing myself first on the buttons, functions, etc. before I go on a tracking and marking poi/waypoint spree.

But could you guys, give some suggested settings for the gpsmap 60csx to be used/preferred for uniformity in our joint project. I know it will depend on each user which they prefer and can be changed in the gps receiver, but for using the mapmaking softwares, etc. For example, for distance, some prefer the english system, but the metric system is much more accurate and easier to use for me. Instead of yardstick, I prefer a meter stick for use in my work in the field. Reason for asking is for accuracy/resolution on replacing old/inaccurate roads from the demo map.
                                Important setting preferred should be with regards to tracks - set to time/1 second and then be sure to check that tracks are also recorded/saved to the memory card. And you could also set the map orientation to track up up to zoom level between 2-5km so that when you use it for routing navigation, the map is always properly oriented relative to what you see in the road ahead. Default setting btw is north up. All other settings aside from the ones i mentioned imho are user preferences. For waypoints, don't bother with typing in the label of the waypoints you have marked, unless you have the time. Much better to record the waypoint labels using pen and paper or a voice recorder. With regards to unit of measure, it does not matter what unit you use as accuracy will still be the same. What's important is how you hold/position the GPS when you are tracking (must have clear view of the sky if possible) because the better the satellite acquisition and lock, the more accurate your tracks and markings.. HTH

Comment

Working...
                                X