My 60CSx on the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 60CSx on the bike

My 60CSx clipped on a Garmin handlebar mount on my MTB...

Was able to test it twice in an offroad trail and it held up quite nicely

The RAM handlebar mount I did not test-use anymore... found it too heavy and bulky, just might affect handling and balance in technical sections of the trail. With the GPS sitting a few inches up from the handlebars, delikado if ever you do a face plant on the handlebars. This was designed more for a motorcycle than an MTB, imo... and i'm quite happy with the cheaper Garmin handlebar mount...

Where you guys ride MTB?

I'm interested. Thx for the info.

Comment

I ride near our place, in Negros...

Comment

phil maps on your 60CSX

hi. were you able to put philippine maps on your 60CSX?

and how shock proof is it? planning to have one on my bike as well

Comment

Originally posted by pjax View Post
          hi. were you able to put philippine maps on your 60CSX?
          and how shock proof is it? planning to have one on my bike as well
          Hi pjax. Of course the Philippine map is in my 60CSx . The steps to install it in 60CSx is pretty much the same for Nuvi's. Plus the 60CSx can do autorouting, giving visual turn-by-turn directions, but no voice except for warning beeps when nearing a turn, and about 100m before a turn. Some even use this in place of Nuvis for car navigation.

In mountain biking, it's been shockproof so far. Try to read online reviews of the 60CSx handheld and Garmin bike mount for you to decide better. Plenty of reviews at amazon, rei and other GPS sellers. HTH

What Triton model do you have? I was able to check out a friend's Triton 2000 and i had problems even uploading tracks and waypoints to that darn GPS using Mapsend Manager and Mapsource is way better than Vantage Point. Needless to say, it's not compatible with our roadguide.ph map. Product support from Magellan is very minimal and web reviews not encouraging... oops

Comment

good to hear!!

i think i'll get a Garmin Legend HCx instead.. a little bit cheaper. I hope I understood the specs correctly, that I can put street maps on it for in-car navigation, and then switch to "trail mode" when i'm biking or offroading.

hope i'm right!

Comment

The Legend HCx is priced about +6K more than the 60CSx (if purchased in the US). If your budget allows, you might want to consider the 60Cx. Only difference with the 60CSx is the S or sensor which would give you an altimeter and barometer, na hindi naman natin ginagamit. The 60Cx is i think 3K cheaper than the 60CSx or 3K more than the Legend.

The 60CSx durablity and ability to handle abuse has already been reported by many users, even in MTB. The Legend is a good GPS but there are some known issues with it, like the batteries losing contact when used in MTB and the rubber side moulding expanding and loosening, as what happened to my older Etrex vista. I had to stick it in again using contact cement but couldn't get a perfect fit bec. it expanded and it does not stick properly. The rubber thingy covers the control buttons located at the sides. In MTB, medyo mahirap to access these buttons compared to 60CSx, where i can mark waypoints, zoom in/out and pan the map even on the run.

Only advantage of the Legend HCx for me is the size, easy to pocket (but smaller screen size is a disadvantage) and of course the price. Yup you can install the roadguide.ph maps in it and use it for in-car navigation. I think Garmin's newer colored GPS all have autorouting feature. And no need to switch to "trail mode". In the map's general set-up, you can set "Lock on road" OFF. So same settings whether on road or off-road... HTH
              Last edited by Borgie; 02-11-2009, 08:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post

Nice set up. Always wanted a 60csx but I got the oregon 200 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ridesolo View Post
                  Always wanted a 60csx but I got the oregon 200 instead.
                  Thanks for the compliment. And how is it compared to the 60CSx? Or is your signature "My mistakes serves as a warning to others!!! " saying it all? LOL... joke

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. And how is it compared to the 60CSx? Or is your signature "My mistakes serves as a warning to others!!! " saying it all? LOL... joke

LOL... I can't really tell.. I don't have a csx. It probably has more feature than the 60csx, maybe faster processor speed and touch screen.

Comment

Was able to test it twice in an offroad trail and it held up quite nicely

The RAM handlebar mount I did not test-use anymore... found it too heavy and bulky, just might affect handling and balance in technical sections of the trail. With the GPS sitting a few inches up from the handlebars, delikado if ever you do a face plant on the handlebars. This was designed more for a motorcycle than an MTB, imo... and i'm quite happy with the cheaper Garmin handlebar mount...

Nice set up Borgie!
                      [COLOR="Red"][B]GRAND OPENING![/B][/COLOR] [B]The home of long distance riding in the Philippines. Shown in April/May issue of Mo2rista Magazine. [URL="http://www.ridenseekrally.com"]Click here to visit: [COLOR="DarkOrange"]www.ridenseekrally.com[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Comment

Thanks pare...

Comment

pede ba malaman kung sa "garmin" mo binili yung bike mount?
                          ito ba ung Part Number: 010-10496-01..
                          gusto ko ring lagyan mountain bike ko.. sana available dito..
                          thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by gpsnotfound View Post
                            pede ba malaman kung sa "garmin" mo binili yung bike mount?
                            ito ba ung Part Number: 010-10496-01..
                            gusto ko ring lagyan mountain bike ko.. sana available dito..
                            thanks..
                            No, it's not the part number you mentioned, it's 010-10454-00 and I bought it here http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-104...9957322&sr=1-1. Don't know if it's available sa 'Pinas though. Try calling Geotech in Cubao...

After a few months using the mount, i can say that it's holding up pretty well, no complaints... . And i've been more adventurous in my solo MTB rides with the GPS, hindi na kasi ako takot mawala o maligaw, even when exploring uncharted single tracks and out-of-the way fireroads, even at night for that matter...

Comment

ok thanks borgie, try ko makapunta sa garmin store (darmoja) pag me time, baka sakali me avail sila..
                              meron akong car mounts for my gpsmap at etrex units.. nkbili na rin ako ng lighter adaptor.. medyo nagka interest lang ako sa bike accesories kasi nakita ko yung set-up mo.. medyo matagal na rin ako di nkakapag bike.. hehehe..
                              anyway, thanks again..

Comment

Working...
                              X