This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ñ and ñ

The problem of incorporating the letters Ñ and ñ into the map has been rectified. As a result, we are encouraging everyone to use them in future uploads, both in street names and waypoint names/address. May we also request that corrections be made to street names that should use the said character by uploading a correction file using this method...http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1 (upload in tracks and routing correction thread please). Example would be "Rename Osmena Highway to Osmeña Highway".

For waypoints, just post a reply in the waypoints correction thread with words to be converted.

How to make Ñ and ñ appear in windows...

Using keyboard with numeric keypad

Alt+164 for ñ
    Alt+165 for Ñ

For keyboard without numeric keypad (laptops)

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

Choose Ñ or ñ...click Select...click Copy then paste in Mapsource, etc..
    Last edited by pokz; 01-05-2010, 18:30.

Eeeek!

Hehehe.

Anyway, here's the story: My first ever contribution here was "rejected" because of the "ñ" in the road names. So I changed them to "n" and uploaded that one, too.

Since they're still in limbo (to be included in map 1.10), what should I do now? Should I rename and upload only the ones with "Ñ and ñ" in the "Upload your track and routing corrections for version 1.10 part five" thread now, or do I wait for 1.10 to be released?

Last edited by woohoo; 01-14-2010, 10:14.
    Certified Roadguide.ph Addict

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Eeeek!

Hehehe.

Anyway, here's the story: My first ever contribution here was "rejected" because of the "ñ" in the road names. So I changed them to "n" and uploaded that one, too.

Since they're still in limbo (to be included in map 1.10), what should I do now? Should I rename and upload only the ones with "Ñ and ñ" in the "Upload your track and routing corrections for version 1.10 part five" thread now, or do I wait for 1.10 to be released?
      Rename and upload those which should be Ñ or ñ so that it will all be included in 1.10.
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Thanks a lot. Uploading, right after this.

Last edited by woohoo; 01-14-2010, 10:13.
        Certified Roadguide.ph Addict

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
          The problem of incorporating the letters Ñ and ñ into the map has been rectified. As a result, we are encouraging everyone to use them in future uploads,
          Hehe, that's great... I just cleaned out all the ñ from 1.08 map so 1.09 is AFAIK, free from ñ... Now we have to put them all back into the map
          I am but a figment of your imagination... with a post count of 9999 or greater.

Comment

Another way of keying in ñ or Ñ or é or some extended characters is changing the keyboards settings.
            In windows, goto Control Panel, then in the Regional and Language Options, go to keyboards and languages tab. Then click change keyboards, in the general tab, set default input languages to English (United States) - United States - International. If it's not in the selection (dropdown items), add in the installed services "united states keyboard" layout. People usually install the default keyboard layout, that's the reason, most people that install windows don't know this settings.

Keyboard should be set to International to be able to use the Tilde (~) on letters. After finishing, just type the tilde key then the letter N.

Comment

For MAC users using Garmin Roadtrip, the keyboard combination to get ñ or Ñ is to hold down the option key while pressing the n key. This will give you the tilde "~" character. Follow up with a lowercase n or capital n and you get the proper character.

Personally, If I could do it, I'd try to first doing a global search/replace command first on the map.

Look for the well known streets/POIS with "Dona" and "Nina" and replace it with "Doña" and "Niña". That should at least get a lot of the corrections done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_D View Post
                For MAC users using Garmin Roadtrip, the keyboard combination to get ñ or Ñ is to hold down the option key while pressing the n key. This will give you the tilde "~" character. Follow up with a lowercase n or capital n and you get the proper character.

Personally, If I could do it, I'd try to first doing a global search/replace command first on the map.

Look for the well known streets/POIS with "Dona" and "Nina" and replace it with "Doña" and "Niña". That should at least get a lot of the corrections done.
                Thats what Pokz is doing.
                http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....2&postcount=77
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Just wanted to add to luciferlove's suggestion.

(After U.S. International Keyboard is installed & chosen)

In addition to using Tilde (~), N sequence,
                  another is to use RightAlt + N, which saves a keystroke.
                  (LeftAlt will not work).

Comment

Working...
                  X