Installing map from a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing map from a Mac

Hi, I'm seeing posts that it's possible to install the Philippines map from a Mac, but so far I haven't found an explanation.

If it's not possible to run an installer, is it possible just to download the map's disk image and put it on an SD card and install directly onto the gps device, or is there some kind of unlock/install necessary first from a PC only?

Originally posted by latelunch View Post
    Hi, I'm seeing posts that it's possible to install the Philippines map from a Mac, but so far I haven't found an explanation.

If it's not possible to run an installer, is it possible just to download the map's disk image and put it on an SD card and install directly onto the gps device, or is there some kind of unlock/install necessary first from a PC only?
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...light=bootcamp

Comment

For mac users, you need someone to have it converted to a file recognizable by roadtrip which is the equivalent of mapsource for mac os. Of course if u have contributor status u then need to unlock it in roadtrip so it can be used in your unit.
      no waypoint left unturned

Comment

Mac user here. You will need Mapinstall and Mapmanager from garmin. They have a special section for Mac downloads. I just downloaded them all at the start. These are the programs you will need to install the maps either in Roadtrip or you gps device.

However, you also need Map converter on Windows to convert the maps for use in the mac. You can also download this from the Garmin website. I have this program on my portable hardrive and run it from there as well. I don't have bootcamp, at least not yet. So i just use someone else's windows machine to convert the maps and also my 1 sec tracks. Everything else I do on a mac.
        Last edited by swissknife; 12-12-2009, 18:04. Reason: typos

Comment

I was able to download roadtrip and base camp for mac, and it successfully installed the demo map on my gps, however when i load up my gps it says "map unlock unsuccessful."

I have bootcamp installed and can run windows to convert files, but I'm terribly confused on how to convert these maps and what to use to install them without having a lock issue.

To my understanding, there is a road map and a demo map, but I can't find the proper pc only file for the road map to download. I found the demo map file, but not the other. And once I have that, I run map converter to convert it for mac, then use road trip on my mac to install it?

I feel like I'm missing a file or step to make this work. I've re-read all the installation forums but I'm lost, and I'm leaving for the Philippines in a few days, so if anyone could please help me get this running I would be ever grateful!

Comment

I was able to download roadtrip and base camp for mac, and it successfully installed the demo map on my gps, however when i load up my gps it says "map unlock unsuccessful."

I have bootcamp installed and can run windows to convert files, but I'm terribly confused on how to convert these maps and what to use to install them without having a lock issue.

To my understanding, there is a road map and a demo map, but I can't find the proper pc only file for the road map to download. I found the demo map file, but not the other. And once I have that, I run map converter to convert it for mac, then use road trip on my mac to install it?

I feel like I'm missing a file or step to make this work. I've re-read all the installation forums but I'm lost, and I'm leaving for the Philippines in a few days, so if anyone could please help me get this running I would be ever grateful!
            hi sir,
            demo map only for the mapsource not the unit.
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

ok, now that i have the understanding that the demo is not for the actual gps, does that mean that the road map works for the gps? or is it demo only?

if so, could you please assist me further with the steps needed to download, convert, and install? i know that there are forums, but they list several options but non in adequate step by step detail. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Comment

ok, now that i have the understanding that the demo is not for the actual gps, does that mean that the road map works for the gps? or is it demo only?

if so, could you please assist me further with the steps needed to download, convert, and install? i know that there are forums, but they list several options but non in adequate step by step detail. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.
                demo map ==> pc only using mapsource
                std map version 5.17 ==> works in gps unit
                roadguide latest map 1.09 ==> works in gps unit but you need unlock key which is given to contributors.
                how to become contributor? read these:
                http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....36&postcount=1
                http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....78&postcount=1
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Thanks.
                  No need to convert for the standard map. Another member did that for you. Just follow his instructions:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....83&postcount=9

Followed this the first time I uploaded the standard map on my GPS. Just remember to send "philippines routable 5.17" to your GPS unit and not any other map you might have installed. The demo map will only work in roadtrip and the contributors map needs an unlock code.

Comment

thank you for the clarification. i was able to get the standard map to work. thanks for all your help!

Comment

thank you for the clarification. i was able to get the standard map to work. thanks for all your help!
                      Anytime! Hope you get to contribute soon. The Contributor's map is worlds apart from the standard map.

Comment

I have gone throught these processes but still my device nuvi 360 is saying the map is not unlocked. I am able to see the map in roadtrip and mapinstall appears to move the file but the gps can not use it. what am I missing.

Comment

Originally posted by reinhart47 View Post
                          I have gone throught these processes but still my device nuvi 360 is saying the map is not unlocked. I am able to see the map in roadtrip and mapinstall appears to move the file but the gps can not use it. what am I missing.
                          which map are you moving to gps unit?
                          you can move 5.08 but demo map 1.09 is for your mac only.

Comment

Why can't I convert my unlock version of Contributors map v1.11 on map converter so that I can use it on mac.

Map Converter said: Map products are locked and connot be converted at this time.

Is it possible to convert the map 1.11 for mac's roadtrip use?

Comment

Originally posted by johnterry View Post
                              Why can't I convert my unlock version of Contributors map v1.11 on map converter so that I can use it on mac.

Map Converter said: Map products are locked and connot be converted at this time.

Is it possible to convert the map 1.11 for mac's roadtrip use?
                              contributors map - no way.
                              demo map - yes.
                              if for roadtrip, demo map is enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X