Waterproofing your Nuvi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
    This looks like an effective and not-so-expensive way of waterproofing and mounting a Nuvi to a bicycle or motorbike.

See it here : http://www.semsons.com/dtunmobimowi.html
    If you read this Post of mine, you will know I bought Arkon GPS032, waterproof Handlebar mount ($16.18),from Amazon.com (Free Shipping in USA)

What 'Nuvi' is best Value for Money' to use on a Motorcycle?

GPS032 : GPS Accessory - Bicycle and Motorcycle Handle Bar Mount with Water Resistant Holder for GPS
    The must have accessory for your Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, or other portable GPS. GPS032 is entirely new and features Arkon's newly designed GN032-SBH bicycle and motorcycle handlebar mount and the GPS-WPCS water resistant holder for GPS. The transparent touch through lens allows you to view and control the touch screen of your GPS. A water resistant zipper on the holder is easy to use and keeps the water out. A cut out on the bottom of the case provides access for charging cable. Three pieces of foam included serve to fit the holder with varying sizes of GPS brand or device size.

GN032-SBH HANDLEBAR MOUNTING PEDESTAL

* Fits handlebars up to 33mm diameter
    * Compatible with most straight, drop, trekking, and touring size handlebars
    * Compatible with standard (25.4mm and 26mm) size handlebars
    * Also compatible with Garmin 17mm swivel ball pattern
    * For use with bicycles, motorcycles, golf carts, ATVs, snowmobiles, hang gliders, or other apparatus having cylinder-shaped frames or posts

* GPS-WPCS WATER RESISTANT HOLDER Features transparent touch through lens, waterproof zipper, and a cut-out at bottom for charging cable access
    * Includes multiple pieces of foam for use as spacers with different sized GPS devices
    * Compatible with 3.5 and 4.3” GPS devices
    * Compatible with Garmin Nuvi 200, 300, 500, 600, 700, 800 series GPS
    * Compatible with Magellan Maestro 3000/400 series, Crossover, and Roadmate 1000 Series GPS
    * Compatible with TomTom One, GO, XL series GPS

Having bought one of these and used it, it does the job of mounting a Garmin Nuvi, to the handlebars of the motorcycle, and keeping the rain out. It also isolates the Nuvi from bumps and vibrations to some extent

It does not however, keep the Sun from shining on the Screen, making it difficult to see the GPS Map / Track Point.

What one needs is a 'VISOR' also.

So I made a 'Box', cut - diagonally, to create a Visor, giving shade from top and sides, that my handlebar mounted case fits into, and attaches to the handlebar mount.

It works very well, even if it looks a bit crude and 'bulky'. It is lined with polystyrene sheets, that adds stiffness to the plastic file holder, and insulates from the heat of the sun.

Having made this, I started reconsidering the need for this water-resitant case, what with my 'Visor Box' keeping the sun off, but doing pretty good job of keeping the rain off the Garmin Nuvi also (as no rain was on the plastic window of the case)

I looked into a much smaller, neater, way to keep water out of the Garmin Nuvi 255, than this bulky 'case', with more depth and width, than it needs to be for the Nuvi 255.

I experimented with a plastic bag sealer, on a clear plastic 'folder', to make a custom fit 'wallet' for my Garmin Nuvi 255.

The result being a neat and tightly fitting sleeve 'bag' that the Nuvi 255 slips into, giving a taut, clear, window over the front of the screen. The front of this 'wallet', having a 'Flap' that folds over the top and down the back of the Nuvi 255 (as one needs access to the top for the on-off switch). Inserting the 'USB Mini-B' cable plug in the back, punched a hole through the plastic.

I figured that my Garmin Nuvi 255, in such a clear plastic 'wallet' and mounted inside a smaller version of that 'Visor Box' should do the job shading the screen from the sun and keeping the rain off and what water might get blown in, will not affect the Garmin Nuvi as it in that sealed on the sides and bottom, in that custom fit clear plastic 'wallet' with the top protected by the extended ''window, forming a 'flap' over the top, under the 'roof' of the 'shade' anyway.

I would not want to trust my Garmin Nuvi 255, attached to the handlebar mounted 'ball' via that Garmin plastic'Clip' mount that is used to attach to Suction Base Mount Ball.

The water resistant case attaches by a locking threaded 'collar' (I still fitted a 'security retention cable' attached to the Motorcycle to stop it falling to the road, should that plastic collar mount break.

Instead I would buy the RAM Mount

This Diamond Base screws to the back of the 'Cradle mount' (I would sandwich my 'Visor Box' in between)

What is then needed is the Garmin RAM Double Socket Arm that clamps the Ball Mount of the Diamond Base, and the Ball of the handlebar Mount.

This is the 'Short' Arm, there is longer version.

Instead of using the Handlebar Mount, I might go for the RAM Handlebar Yoke Clamp Bolt Mount

You simply remove one handlebar Bolt, and replace with longer version, that passes through hole drilled in RAM 1" rubber coated ball Mount.

Comment

Simple method to keep rain off your Garmin Nuvi

I bought a Clear Plastic Envelope Jacket with press stud closure (STATEMN ENV JACKET CLR GAUGES 113642 30) for Php9.00 from Gaisano.

In the end I did not use the press stud 'flap' closure, but cut off the lower half of the 'pocket' and used a plastic bag heat sealer so the width was such that my Nuvi 255 was a 'snug' sliding in fit, that left the soft, clear plastic, somewhat 'taut' over the Nuvi screen. I used the bag sealer to add more curvature to the corners of this custom fit 'bag', and trimmed the excess off.

Since one might need access to the On/Off Switch, I left the top of the 'pocket' open, and simply folded it over the top of the Garmin Nuvi to keep an unbroken surface up the front of the Nuvi screen and over the top and down the back.

I am not intending to immerse it in water, and will be adding a 'Visor' to keep the Sun off the screen, which will be insulated to keep the heat off also.

Comment

Britster,

Just double checking is it 9.00 or 90.00? 9 pesos sound too cheap, heck might be cheaper than ziplock bags!

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
          Britster,

Just double checking is it 9.00 or 90.00? 9 pesos sound too cheap, heck might be cheaper than ziplock bags!

TTFN
          Arvin
          Yes it was 'Flying Eagle plastic pocket, with press stud closure on the back. Size was 73mm x 95mm or something, and cost all of php9.00.

Previously I bought a clear plastic 'folder' that one can slip A4 papers into the left and the right 'pockets'.

The cheaper alternative (if you wanted to go into 'mass production') is to buy a a big sheet of clear plastic that they sell for covering books, to keep them in good condition.

Use a plastic heat sealer on that, and create the 'pocket tubes' that are a snug slid in fit for the particular Garmin Nuvi. Just tight enough that the plastic is taught over the Nuvi screen, but not too tight that the seam splits under the pressure.

Like I say, such a bag, folded over at the top (not sealed on the top end, as you want to operate the switch). I did not want to slide it out of an open bottom end each time. Folded over that rain will not get in, especially as it will have a 'Visor' roof over the bag, being fitted between the back of the RAM Mount and the screw on Diamond Plate Ball Mount.

Those photos show my 'custom fit plastic wallet', with the flip over the bag flap being secured on the 'suction base'. I would NOT use that mount on a Motorcycle but shows how a 'Garmin Nuvi' can be protected from the rain fairly well, simply and inexpensively, without going to Nuvi 500/550 or Garmin Zumo models.

However some 'glare' from sunlight falling on the screen is evident and would make it unreadable with bright sunlight falling on the screen. What is needed is some sort of 'Visor' to provide shade. Like a peaked 'baseball cap', keeps sun out of your eyes pretty good.

I got given a Free Promo Gift from using my HSBC credit card in 'Robinsons'. A 'Klio' KL-RA02Made In the Philippines clear plastic 'Tupperware ' style box (14cm x 10cm x 5cm deep) with a white plastic lid.

Just the right size for my Garmin Nuvi to sit in.

The white plastic lid could have a polystyrene liner on the inside to add additional insulation from the sun? This insulated lid, attaching to the 'box' via 'velcro' strip stuck to the inside of the lid, and the top side of the 'Tupperware' style box.

Further enhancements could be some hinged 'wings', that would 'fold out' from the underside of the lid to the left and right sides and attach via more 'velcro' strips on the left and right sides of the box.

Again these side 'wings' giving more shade, from sunlight from the sides, could be lined with polystyrene to give heat insulation also.

I would finish by painting the inside surfaces with matt black acrylic spray paint to further help stop reflections causing 'glare' on the screen. This would also cover the duct tape 'hinges'.
          Last edited by Britster; 08-25-2011, 15:06.

Comment

nice !

Comment

Very innovative...
              Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
              - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Working...
              X