Belt and Braces approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt and Braces approach

How I make sure I get those tracks logged!
    Happiness is a blank screen with only the little pointer and a tail comimg out the back!

Originally posted by DaveMorrison View Post
    How I make sure I get those tracks logged!
    Nice set-up Dave! And a very nice edge 705 too! How do you find the volume of voice guidance? Can you hear it enough when biking in busy streets?

Comment

Voice guidance

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
      Nice set-up Dave! And a very nice edge 705 too! How do you find the volume of voice guidance? Can you hear it enough when biking in busy streets?
      Voice guidance - ah, if you use the routing tool. Never actually tried that yet. Had a few targets that I thought the road classification is wrong so been chasing them and of course I am never happier that when I pass a "road" end that is not on the map. Did go to Bacolod yesterday so I could have tried it but I did 8 hours on the bike chasing "Thats not a road" or "thats not on the map", Nearly two months since I was last on my bike so the hands feet and botty have all gone soft and my legs complained as well, so I was more focussed on pain management.

I had to promise the judge either 1 sec tracks or my first born to get the unlock code.

Course they suggested a firmware upgrade yesterday - seems to have wiped the waypoint from tha map, so that was a bit of bummer. Then I used up all the waypoint memory, lucky I had the XT so managed to get a few more.
      Happiness is a blank screen with only the little pointer and a tail comimg out the back!

Comment

No Voice

Tried the navigation yeterday to go to Sagay, I got no voice instructions at all. Just beeps and onscreen directions? Will have to read the manual!

Nice options on routing either for the bike or Car. Had me confused before I realized I had the optons.

Had trouble reading 2 of the TCX files so far, TCX people recovered half of one and importing / exporting to Ozie recovered the second file. Curious, I have never had a problem with TCX from the 405. Be nice if Mapsource read the tracks as well.

Regards
        Dave

Comment

Tried the navigation yeterday to go to Sagay, I got no voice instructions at all. Just beeps and onscreen directions? Will have to read the manual!

Nice options on routing either for the bike or Car. Had me confused before I realized I had the optons.

Had trouble reading 2 of the TCX files so far, TCX people recovered half of one and importing / exporting to Ozie recovered the second file. Curious, I have never had a problem with TCX from the 405. Be nice if Mapsource read the tracks as well.

Regards
          Dave
          Hi Dave. As advertised in amazon, "Full-Featured Navigation
          No more scratch paper paper-clipped to your handlebars. In addition to their cycling computer functions, The Edge 705 provides the same robust navigation as Garmin's vehicle navigators, with turn-by-turn spoken directions (turn left in 500 yards) and a 2.2-inch (diagonal) color display that shows maps in great detail."
          http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-70...9716736&sr=8-1

Mapsource can read the tracks if you can save it as a gpx file. Btw, nice to see you're back in the saddle again, and 8 hours at that . Wish i had the luxury of time to bike as long. And i do that too, chase a fire road that's not yet on the map when biking, hehe. Do you have the unlock code for the edge already? Hope you have...

Comment

Lies

Borgie,

I had a good look at the manual, no spoken directions. The "turn-by-turn spoken directions" in the Full navigation section is contrary to the introduction, so I think it is lies. No biggie, part of the attraction of the bike is to get away from bossy, nagging women hehe!

I copy out the TCX files then convert to GPX, same as I do for the 405, but you would think one Garmin product would directly read from a Garmin device. Currently I have to connect the 705, read the waypoints directly into Map source, copy and convert the track files and then open in another Mapsource version, then copy the waypoints or tracks to get the combined download.

I also thought it would come with the same Ant com’s technology that the 405 uses, ie: plug in the USB stick, bring the device in range and it automatically reads the device and uploads new data to the Garmin Connect web page. Very nice feature, but with the 705 I have to connect the 705, go to the webpage and then upload manually.
            But it is a nice little unit sat on the handlebars, clear screen in most conditions ie: when eyes are not flooded in sweat and easy to enter and name waypoints.
            PS: the 8 hours was a mistake for the first day, legs were up to it but the botty soft, had to take a rest day today. Ah well, time to sort out all the new tracks to upload, plus the ones that need 1 sec updates to keep the judge happy, and get the waypoints sorted and edited before I forget my own codes!

Comment

I'm blaming Roadguide!

Well after 3 years of using my Garmin 705 - I have worn the rubber off the buttons! Must be all the waypoints I have been taking. Screens all scratched from muddy bike gloves as well - might have to splash some cash. No complaints its been used and abused!

Comment

Well after 3 years of using my Garmin 705 - I have worn the rubber off the buttons! Must be all the waypoints I have been taking. Screens all scratched from muddy bike gloves as well - might have to splash some cash. No complaints its been used and abused!
                Because of that 705, the roads and trails in Northern Negros are more detailed with lots of useful POIs. Thank you very much Dave....

Hmmm... now you also got an excuse as good as any to upgrade to the newer Garmin Edge 800

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-GP...5158550&sr=8-4

Comment

Working...
                X