My two Garmins on the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two Garmins on the bike

Here’s my set up. I use the iQue to follow pre-laid tracks and the Nuvi 500 for 1-second recording. I wired a cigarette lighter in for power.

I set up a track from Google Earth, upload it to the iQue and colorize it something bright so I can see it when the sun’s out in full force. I lay out the most efficient means of driving the roads, then simply follow the track lines. It doesn’t always work out because the Google Earth image from around here is 8 years old. Many new roads and some that have had buildings planted on them. But, it keeps the u-turns to a minimum. Trouble with the iQue is it lacks 1-second recording so the tracks I record with it are choppy.

I got the Nuvi specifically so I could submit better resolution tracks. A bit of serendipity, too. The first map update (1.08) that came along after I got the Nuvi was in a newer format which my iQue doesn’t support. I can still lay out tracks and follow them on the iQue, but I need to look at the Nuvi for the latest info. I followed a street of opprtunity, once, from the iQue display only to find the street was already on the 1.08 map.

The bike is a Kawasaki 130. I also have a Honda TMX 155 here in Cebu and a Honda Shadow 1100 in Florida.

Pictures of several treks through the mountains of Cebu with Craktskull, as well as other trips, are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hennme
    Attached Files
    Experiencia Docet

Originally posted by hennme69c View Post
    Here’s my set up. I use the iQue to follow pre-laid tracks and the Nuvi 500 for 1-second recording. I wired a cigarette lighter in for power.

I set up a track from Google Earth, upload it to the iQue and colorize it something bright so I can see it when the sun’s out in full force. I lay out the most efficient means of driving the roads, then simply follow the track lines. It doesn’t always work out because the Google Earth image from around here is 8 years old. Many new roads and some that have had buildings planted on them. But, it keeps the u-turns to a minimum. Trouble with the iQue is it lacks 1-second recording so the tracks I record with it are choppy.

I got the Nuvi specifically so I could submit better resolution tracks. A bit of serendipity, too. The first map update (1.08) that came along after I got the Nuvi was in a newer format which my iQue doesn’t support. I can still lay out tracks and follow them on the iQue, but I need to look at the Nuvi for the latest info. I followed a street of opprtunity, once, from the iQue display only to find the street was already on the 1.08 map.

The bike is a Kawasaki 130. I also have a Honda TMX 155 here in Cebu and a Honda Shadow 1100 in Florida.

Pictures of several treks through the mountains of Cebu with Craktskull, as well as other trips, are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hennme
    Very nice set-up. What mount are you using for the iQue and the Nuvi? Seems to be holding up well and nicely positioned. Hope you can share pics of the mounts and thanks for sharing your pics bai...

Comment

Just the suction cup mounts. They work very well, although I do have them both tethered loosely to the mirrors just in case the suction cups work loose. The iQue is mounted to the speedometer and the Nuvi is mounted on the front fairing, both surfaces being smooth enough.
      Experiencia Docet

Comment

Originally posted by hennme69c View Post

seeing the two gps's on the bike i thought "overkill"
        then i browsed your picasa album.....

i bow to an addict
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

now that's overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            seeing the two gps's on the bike i thought "overkill"
            then i browsed your picasa album.....

i bow to an addict
            Wow, Stereo or Surround Vision. How about the rear?

Comment

Heres what it would look like in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_isVdeRwnus

Comment

No, nothing on the rear...LOL

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
                Wow, Stereo or Surround Vision. How about the rear?
                Every once in a while, Craktskull and I get together and go off into the mountains. We're still trying to find the elusive Osmeña Peak, highest point on the island, but have run into mechanical problems each time. Another story, though.

On the left is Craktskull's Nuvi 550. On the right is my Nuvi 500. In the middle is my really old iQueM5. Basically, I use the iQue to tell us where to go but since it cannot record 1 second intervals I use the Nuvi to record tracks for upload.

What I do first is trace roads that are not on the map on Google Earth, convert and upload to my iQue. My iQue can display uploaded tracks, unlike the Nuvi's. So, I plot out multiple roads to drive, along with alternates, and off we go for the whole day. Having pre-laid tracks keeps us from going off into the wild for 20-30 km only to find a dead end. There are many more pictures in my Picasa album of some of the stuff we've seen.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hennme

But, yeah, it does look like overkill, doesn't it?
                Experiencia Docet

Comment

Originally posted by Agent47 View Post
                  Heres what it would look like in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_isVdeRwnus

funny and confusing. hahaha
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

2 navi system

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                    funny and confusing. hahaha
                    bro is it more confusing if you have 3 while on the move

Comment

Working...
                    X