This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyright issue

As much as we don't want our data being copied by other mapping sites, it is also our duty to ensure that we do not do the same to them. With the recent upload of a member of copied data, we wish to reiterate that Roadguide.ph will not tolerate such acts and that we will respond accordingly to prevent its recurrence in the future.

Let us strive to complete the map using our own resources, and be proud that we did it the Roadguide way...the honest way.

Originally posted by pokz View Post
    as much as we don't want our data being copied by other mapping sites, it is also our duty to ensure that we do not do the same to them. With the recent upload of a member of copied data, we wish to reiterate that roadguide.ph will not tolerate such acts and that we will respond accordingly to prevent its recurrence in the future.

Let us strive to complete the map using our own resources, and be proud that we did it the roadguide way...the honest way.
    amen sir amen
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

As much as we don't want our data being copied by other mapping sites, it is also our duty to ensure that we do not do the same to them. With the recent upload of a member of copied data, we wish to reiterate that Roadguide.ph will not tolerate such acts and that we will respond accordingly to prevent its recurrence in the future.

Let us strive to complete the map using our own resources, and be proud that we did it the Roadguide way...the honest way.
      Infringement of copyright has different gravity or level of offenses. If it is for personal use, it's negligible (pitik sa kamao), if its for non-profit organization with due credit to the author (pitik sa tenga) and it's still tolerable but it's unforgivable (pitik sa balls+77 lashes of the cane) if it's for profit.
      See FAQ for Newbies below
      Click Here

Comment

Sir Poks,

does this includes datas, road traces, polygons traces that comes from google earth

Comment

Originally posted by elkabong View Post
          Sir Poks,

does this includes datas, road traces, polygons traces that comes from google earth
          no it doesn't.

it's more about other garmin maps.
          How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              no it doesn't.

it's more about other garmin maps.
              I'd like to comment on this. It's confusing that on another discussion (http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1064), traces on google earth is considered a violation.

My view regarding copyright,specifically on google map and google earth images, is that anyone can use these images because it's openly available. The violation would be when someone hacks into their database and copy the road traces they did. BUT, if we the users trace it ourselves using our own separate software and upload these traces, then it would not be considered a violation. If Google consider that as a violation, they should not have included the 'save image as' option in the Google Earth application.

I hope that this issue be clarified to us all, because I too use google earth to counter check my waypoints.
              Last edited by ldbarua; 09-29-2009, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by ldbarua View Post
                I'd like to comment on this. It's confusing that on another discussion (http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1064), traces on google earth is considered a violation.

My view regarding copyright,specifically on google earth images, is that anyone can use these images because it's openly available. The violation would be when someone hacks into their database and copy the road traces they did. BUT, if we the users trace it ourselves and upload our own traces, then it would not be considered a violation. If Google consider that as a violation, they should not have included the 'save image as' option in the Google Earth application (as we GIS users can manipulate the images as input to our analyses, which in turn have been a practice since GE's introduction).

I hope that this issue be clarified to us all, because I too use google earth to counter check my waypoints.
                Note that your post mentions GOOGLE EARTH and not Google Map which is the meat of the discussion of the link you posted...

Anyways, Google EARTH and Google MAP might share the same satellite imagery but are two different applications (in a way) of Google. Google Map can be viewed online only while Google Earth is installed in your PC and can be viewed and used offline when the areas you want to see have been cached. In Google Map, some roads are already traced and named, and there are labeled POIs as well. If you copy that, that is considered a violation. But tracing of roads, rivers and building footprints in Google Earth is okay (as is being done by some contributors) and these tracings are personal tracings that only you can use unless you want to share it with others or with Google Map. In Google Map, your tracings are added to the online database and becomes Google's property...

Btw, it's not a good practice to countercheck your waypoints against Google Earth. It has been discussed many times already (please search posts) that GPS waypoints checked against GE will not give a close match. Your waypoints (as long as it was marked in the field), if you want to contribute them here, needs to be counterchecked against the latest Roadguide map v1.07. Hope that's clear...
                Last edited by Borgie; 09-29-2009, 08:14. Reason: added more info...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                  Note that your post mentions GOOGLE EARTH and not Google Map which is the meat of the discussion of the link you posted...

Anyways, Google EARTH and Google MAP might share the same satellite imagery but are two different applications (in a way) of Google. Google Map can be viewed online only while Google Earth is installed in your PC and can be viewed and used offline when the areas you want to see have been cached. In Google Map, some roads are already traced and named, and there are labeled POIs as well. If you copy that, that is considered a violation. But tracing of roads, rivers and building footprints in Google Earth is okay (as is being done by some contributors) and these tracings are personal tracings that only you can use unless you want to share it with others or with Google Map. In Google Map, your tracings are added to the online database and becomes Google's property...
                  Yeah, i missed the part when the author crarified it was google map and not google earth. Pardon for the further confusion i made,hehe.

So now it's clear that we can use google earth as part of our waypoint processing (halatang newbie ako haha).

Thanks for the clarification and pardon ulit!

Comment

Yeah, i missed the part when the author crarified it was google map and not google earth. Pardon for the further confusion i made,hehe.

So now it's clear that we can use google earth as part of our waypoint processing (halatang newbie ako haha).

Thanks for the clarification and pardon ulit!
                    No worries bro. It's good that you asked for clarification so others who had the same questions but did not voice them out will also be enlightened...

Please take note of my comment again regarding "waypoint processing" using Google Earth...
                    Last edited by Borgie; 09-29-2009, 08:23.

Comment

Please take note of my comment again regarding "waypoint processing" using Google Earth...
                      what waypoint processing? saan ko po ito makikita?

Comment

Btw, it's not a good practice to countercheck your waypoints against Google Earth. It has been discussed many times already (please search posts) that GPS waypoints checked against GE will not give a close match. Your waypoints (as long as it was marked in the field), if you want to contribute them here, needs to be counterchecked against the latest Roadguide map v1.07. Hope that's clear...
                        what waypoint processing? saan ko po ito makikita?
                        Please read quotes above...

Comment

Please read quotes above...
                          i see...thanks so much for the info. am now working on newer waypoints...

Comment

I'd like to comment on the above statement. Because I know a thing or two about copyright infringement(LAWYER here). Copyright infringement occurs when one violates the provisions stated in the original work. Violations include reproducing without permission, performing an original song/play without consent etc.

Now, public knowledge is something not part of this copyright law. When you use the Google Service to learn the coordinates of a particular place that is not part of their copyright. What is part of their copyright is the actual Map Images and Satellite Images they use to display the Map Data.

When you use such images in your own Map, THEN you become an infringer.

When you open Google Maps you gain knowledge where a particular place is in the map and get the coordinates. Retracing that to your OWN map is not a violation of a copyright. You are simply using the knowledge you gained from using the Google Map's service. Such a knowledge is called PUBLIC DOMAIN.

For Example, If one gets to understand where Punta De San Fabian in Baras Rizal is located. Perhaps via the turn by turn location service of Google Maps and post that knowledge in a blog to help someone get there. Is that considered a violation? No, this knowledge was already a public FACT even before Google traced it and made it a map. It just so happens that Google was the vehicle of information. Street directions can never be an intellectual property. But the software that generates this can be.

Hope this helps
                            Last edited by daimengrui; 06-04-2010, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by daimengrui View Post
                              I'd like to comment on the above statement. Because I know a thing or two about copyright infringement(LAWYER here). Copyright infringement occurs when one violates the provisions stated in the original work. Violations include reproducing without permission, performing an original song/play without consent etc.

Now, public knowledge is something not part of this copyright law. When you use the Google Service to learn the coordinates of a particular place that is not part of their copyright. What is part of their copyright is the actual Map Images and Satellite Images they use to display the Map Data.

When you use such images in your own Map, THEN you become an infringer.

When you open Google Maps you gain knowledge where a particular place is in the map and get the coordinates. Retracing that to your OWN map is not a violation of a copyright. You are simply using the knowledge you gained from using the Google Map's service. Such a knowledge is called PUBLIC DOMAIN.

For Example, If one gets to understand where Punta De San Fabian in Baras Rizal is located. Perhaps via the turn by turn location service of Google Maps and post that knowledge in a blog to help someone get there. Is that considered a violation? No, this knowledge was already a public FACT even before Google traced it and made it a map. It just so happens that Google was the vehicle of information. Street directions can never be an intellectual property. But the software that generates this can be.

Hope this helps
                              I agree.
                              Garmin 260W

Comment

Working...
                              X